I might be hooked. Blame Les.

Frank Fusco

As I have reported, my shooting days may be ended because of shoulder problems. Can't even hold up a rifle or pistol anymore.
I live in an area that draws thousands each year for the great fishing, both lake and river. The river fly fishermen are, by far, the most avid of those who visit, and spend money, here. (I know I could get in trouble with the tournament bass fishermen. But, what the 'hey'? )
When I went into the fly shop it occurred to me that fly fishing may be a great new outdoor activity for me since my shooting/hunting opportunities are now quite limited. And, OH, BTW, the Forest Service has also shut off most of the old logging roads and trails for ATV use, there goes hunting.
So, I may be 'hooked' and am considering taking up fly fishing.
I joined a big fly fishing discussion forum. Probably a good forum but, I have found it to be totally useless for me, and probably for any other beginner. The guys talk in vague, undefined, terms and their own shop talk. Questions asked by others were, as I see it, responded to with a lot of words but no definitive answers.
It is going to cost a bundle to get started. About $500.00. I'm not making the investment without knowing what I'm getting in to.
This kinda renewed my personal campaign about not using acronyms and abbreviations here. I do gently jide those who do. My philosophy is 'tell them what you are talking about'. Oh, well. Sermon for the day. :rolleyes:

frank unless you have a new method of caasting, your shoulder isnt gonna like fly fishun.. it uses as many and maybe more shoulder muscles than hold up a piece of iron:)

frank unless you have a new method of caasting, your shoulder isnt gonna like fly fishun.. it uses as many and maybe more shoulder muscles than hold up a piece of iron:)

Uh-Oh! :eek:
Thought about that. I would, of course, try out something first. When I took the grandsons fishing recently, I used a standard rod with spinning reel and was OK.
I have developed some weird looking muscle bumps that take over some of the chores of the torn, and now atrophied, muscles. But, for holding out a pistol at arms length, still can't do that. Or holding up a heavy rifle with left hand, can't do that either but I can hold a very light rifle, albeit, not steady.

I'll second that motion! Before you fall down that mountain (VERY slippery slope) try it out. Fly fishing is a very engaging, zenlike sport. I've fished all day, lost dozens of flies to trees and snags, caught no fish, hurt like heck, and went back for more. I love it! Kinda like hand planing. There's better ways of catching fish, (Heresy!) but no better way of fishing. It really doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to get a taste of this most enjoyable endeavor, just buy (or borrow) a beginners rod/reel combination, get some flies and a license and go flail some water. Having said all that Larry's right (no surprise), fly casting will make you hurt.

I am with the others on this. My dad started me out fly fishing when I was just about knee high so I love it. If you go anywhere close to a Bass Pro shop, most of them have fly fishing casting ponds and have trial rods, I believe they even provide someone who can show you how.

I don't do it much, but it is a lot of fun. I say give it a shot.

I don't know the details of your shoulder problems, but if it's something that might benefit from use, well, who knows.

And if fly fishing is too much, well you can allways just go fishing the 'regular' way.

If you're interested, I made a fly tying box that holds my fly making tools and materials and serves as a handy dandy workbench. I could take some pictures and post em... I find tying flys to be a pretty relaxing activity as well...

I joined a big fly fishing discussion forum. Probably a good forum but, I have found it to be totally useless for me, and probably for any other beginner. The guys talk in vague, undefined, terms and their own shop talk. Questions asked by others were, as I see it, responded to with a lot of words but no definitive answers.

Frank now i know why many of us get on here. Its not just woodworking we also like the outdoors. I am a flyfisherman and have found that there are two types not unsimilar to the woodworking. Those that are snooty and think they are above everyone have all the fancy branded kit and wont give a newbie the time of day. I think they are insecure or were born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

It is going to cost a bundle to get started. About $500.00. I'm not making the investment without knowing what I'm getting in to.

This is way too much for a beginner. I would buy good gear but $500 is way to much. More on pm.

This kinda renewed my personal campaign about not using acronyms and abbreviations here. I do gently jide those who do. My philosophy is 'tell them what you are talking about'. Oh, well. Sermon for the day. :rolleyes:

Well we share this feeling together. I find you guys in North America seem to have abreviated everything to the point where one needs a code book.

I 1000% agree with Larry here these are wise words. Be warned I come back sometimes in pain beyond belief and i dont have a shooting shoulder. Its a lot of work. Maybe you want to think of spinning.

I'll second that motion! Before you fall down that mountain (VERY slippery slope) try it out. Fly fishing is a very engaging, zenlike sport. I've fished all day, lost dozens of flies to trees and snags, caught no fish, hurt like heck, and went back for more. I love it! Kinda like hand planing. There's better ways of catching fish, (Heresy!) but no better way of fishing. It really doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to get a taste of this most enjoyable endeavor, just buy (or borrow) a beginners rod/reel combination, get some flies and a license and go flail some water. Having said all that Larry's right (no surprise), fly casting will make you hurt.

+1 Victor to every single word you said thats why i had to quote you again.:D

I am with the others on this. If you go anywhere close to a Bass Pro shop, most of them have fly fishing casting ponds and have trial rods, I believe they even provide someone who can show you how.

Frank the best flyfishing equipment shop will match you to a rod and by the way the line needs to be matched to the rod too. And times i have found your own way sometimes needs you to go up or down one line weight no. So if they aint prepared to let you try and help you take your $$ somewhere else and develop a relationship with a local store that has a trial pond or sets aside a day or time when they take you down to local water to try out gear. For years i had really bad time trying because i did not do this. Then you meet the real deal guys and its day and night.

I don't do it much, but it is a lot of fun. I say give it a shot.

And if fly fishing is too much, well you can allways just go fishing the 'regular' way.

If you're interested, I made a fly tying box that holds my fly making tools and materials and serves as a handy dandy workbench. I could take some pictures and post em... I find tying flys to be a pretty relaxing activity as well...

Agree with what Brent said, what you got to loose especially if you live in trout country and rivers. I envy you. When i get my jet i will fly down and give you a few lessons.:rofl::rofl: Trouble is i have to win the lotto to get the jet so that could be a while. Especially since i dont take tickets that often.:D

Brent I would love to see your fly tying box. I have a kit but have not yet done much tying myself. I got my kids to learn to tie when they were 8 or 9. They made a great job of their flys.

I wish you succeed with the fly fishing
have you consider buying a special stock for your rifle or pistol that use a harness to hold it in place

Frank,
I'm a lousy and that's lousy with a capital L fly fisherman... I tried it when living in CA and probably did better as a bull whip operator than as a fly fisherman, but when I was taking vacation at the Diamond "D" Ranch up on the San Joaquin River in Sierra National & Kings Canyon National parks, the rules said you had to use artificial bait, i.e., flies to fish.... the locals there showed me a rig that worked fine for trout fishing.... I put a long leader on the line with the fly at the end, a clear bubble above the leader and then just cast as normal.... the bubble would make the plop into the water and then when the fly hit the water it usually had the trout's attention....'course in reality, the fly fishermen actually caught more fish than me, but I still had fun.

What I love about Brent is that as soon as he discovers a new hobby, there is a prototype or something that shows off his interest. Love his tackle box. Hopefully we can fly catch on Lake Pyramid, just 10 miles up the road. I think we may do it when we vaca there in Sept on the sailboat.

I laugh when I see people refer to the "abyss" when discussing woodturning -- because the real abyss is flyfishing. Since beginning the hobby about 10 years ago, I've accumulated over two dozen rod and reals (and one of the rods was over $2,000 :eek:), fished in over 20 different states, and I'm now the proud owner of a drift boat, float tube, and pontoon boat. It's a sickness I tell ya.

PS - I'm presently packing my gear for a weekend trip to flyfish for Albacore Tuna 35 miles off the coast of Oregon! :thumb:

Hi,

When I was in grade school a fly fisherman caught me...right in the back of my neck. We had quite an audience by the time they got the hook out.

Re Code Book: I do have a code book. It was posted by FWW (that is Family Woodworking) or more likely SMC (SawMill Creek). I think it was posted at SMC (ditto second set of parenthesis) before there was a FWW (ditto first parenthesis).

Enjoy,

Jim

I laugh when I see people refer to the "abyss" when discussing woodturning -- because the real abyss is flyfishing. Since beginning the hobby about 10 years ago, I've accumulated over two dozen rod and reals (and one of the rods was over $2,000 :eek:), fished in over 20 different states, and I'm now the proud owner of a drift boat, float tube, and pontoon boat. It's a sickness I tell ya.

PS - I'm presently packing my gear for a weekend trip to flyfish for Albacore Tuna 35 miles off the coast of Oregon! :thumb:

Peter...come on out to Pyramid Lake. Folks fly fish for Lohantan trout. Apparently you'll need a ladder to stand on the slopes on the lakes edge. :thumb:

Frank,
I'm a lousy and that's lousy with a capital L fly fisherman... I tried it when living in CA and probably did better as a bull whip operator than as a fly fisherman, but when I was taking vacation at the Diamond "D" Ranch up on the San Joaquin River in Sierra National & Kings Canyon National parks, the rules said you had to use artificial bait, i.e., flies to fish.... the locals there showed me a rig that worked fine for trout fishing.... I put a long leader on the line with the fly at the end, a clear bubble above the leader and then just cast as normal.... the bubble would make the plop into the water and then when the fly hit the water it usually had the trout's attention....'course in reality, the fly fishermen actually caught more fish than me, but I still had fun.

I have done the 'bubble' thing on our rivers with a spinning rod and reel set-up. It is actually a pretty good way to fish. I gave it up when I got smart and realized standing in the cold river water up to my chest was not healthy. I may get a pair of insulated waders and resume fishing that way until I accumulate some fly equipment.

One of the things on my retirement list was to fish the Tellico River... it's listed as a great trout stream here in east Tennessee... The first of October we will have been here 5 years... so far I'm managed one(1) that's ONE, fishing trip with my son in law when he was here about 3 years ago... we threw everything except the tackle box in the river and never even got a nibble. :(

My step son bought me an inexpensive fly rod to play with and practice... so far, I've not even put the line on the reel... I like to fish, but just never seem to get a trip together... this summer it's been way too hot to stand out in the sun throwing a fish hook at a fish.... Oh well -- one of these days. :D

One of the things on my retirement list was to fish the Tellico River... it's listed as a great trout stream here in east Tennessee... The first of October we will have been here 5 years... so far I'm managed one(1) that's ONE, fishing trip with my son in law when he was here about 3 years ago... we threw everything except the tackle box in the river and never even got a nibble. :(

My step son bought me an inexpensive fly rod to play with and practice... so far, I've not even put the line on the reel... I like to fish, but just never seem to get a trip together... this summer it's been way too hot to stand out in the sun throwing a fish hook at a fish.... Oh well -- one of these days. :D

We have been here since 1976 and in that time I probably have averaged less than once a year wetting a line. That is downright criminal letting the great resources we have to unused by me.
These hot days have kept some away but our waters are so cold the air near them is comfortable.

Here is a shot I took of the White River near the town of Cotter. Cotter publicizes itself as the trout fishing capital of the world.
When I had the grandsons here I lost count of the number of trout we caught and released. That day, most were browns but rainbow are the predominant species in the river.

Attachments

• white river small.jpg
    white river small.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 14