Rabbet plane wanted

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
The project I am on would benefit mightily from a rabbet plane. It would be used to clean up a sawn rabbet.

What should I look for, and what would be a fair price for a user? Brands, sources?

Anyone in the family have one available?

If I have to go new - suggestions?

I have been woodworking for decades and haven't really needed one until now, so I don't expect this to be a big time user, but just the same, it is needed now.

Hey, Paul Gallian, if you are going to that auction this weekend and there happens to be one there, maybe we can do a deal???

One last thing, I really need it next week! Or the project won't make the due date.

Cross posted in the Neander side as well. Desperate times, desperate measures. ;)

Carol,
I don't have one available for sale, but if you decide to go new, I'd suggest the Lee Valley "Veritas" medium shoulder plane. It's designed for smaller hands, and is easier - and more comfortable - to hold onto than the bigger LV or the Lie Neilson versions.

You could also consider the LV skewed block plane. It comes with an edge guide, and makes a very nice tool for cleaning up rabbets (too wide for dados, though). In addition, it's multi-purpose. It makes a fine low angle block plane, too.

I like the Stanley in Canada, Rob, but I don't do PayPal and he doesn't do credit cards. Sigh.

Not interested in the other one.

Go for them. I'll have to keep looking.

I have this one:

Stanley 192 1 - 600.jpg Stanley 192 2 - 600.jpg

It was my granddad's, so I can't sell it. I've never cleaned, sharpened or used it, but it could probably be tuned up pretty easily. Wanna borrow it for a while?

Do you want a new one or an old woody?
The antique shop where I bought my Disston back saw is still in business and trying to sell out. Meaning good prices. He told me he has about 1200 planes. And I can attest, a whole lot of other tools.
If you can tell me what you want, or post a picture, and price range I'll pick one up for you. I'm reluctant to go and take pictures for approval as this shop isn't exactly next door and the back and forth would involve a lot of driving and time. But I'm happy to make one trip. Lemme know.

Thanks, Frank. Rob and I got it covered. Thanks, Rob.

Boy, do I wish I could see what your guy has to offer, but it is even more miles for me!

Sometimes things work out.
Wife saw an ad today for the town, Calico Rock.
There is going to be an all-town yard sale next month and we plan to go.
I will be able to go to the antique shop and make inquiries about anything somebody might want.
I don't mind doing this. Just send me your telephone number and wants with price limit.
I'll search and inquire then call you. If you give an OK, I'll buy and ship and you can send me a check to cover it.
I'm going to get the shop phone number and post that in a little while also.