Roly-Poly Sunrise Bowl

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
My ash firewood stash is finally starting to crack faster than I can turn it, so I've been doing what I can with what I've got. I went through a lot of failed ideas on this one before I ended up with the final product. The story behind it is long, and I have a hundred or so pics to sort through before I can tell it, but for now, here's what I ended up with. It's about 12 1/4" wide and 7 1/2" tall,with no foot...just a rounded bottom. I'm considering turning an ebony donut for it to sit on, so it can be tilted in different orientations. The cracks are filled with black epoxy. I also burned the rim with a propane torch. It's finished with sprayed USL (water-based acrylic lacquer) colored with TransTint dyes. Instead of dying the wood, I dyed the clear finish. (As I said, the story of how I got there is long. I'll post the whole thing in a day or two.) No buffing yet...just how the USL came out of the gun, and I might just leave it that way.

Bowl 092 - 01  800.jpg Bowl 092 - 02  800.jpg Bowl 092 - 03  800.jpg Bowl 092 - 04  800.jpg Bowl 092 - 05  800.jpg Bowl 092 - 06  800.jpg Bowl 092 - 07  800.jpg Bowl 092 - 08  800.jpg

As usual, comment, critiques, suggestions, and questions are all welcome. :wave:

Very nice Vaughn! It reminds me of the brush fires you had last year, or were they just this year?:huh: Flames on the outside and burnt on the inside. :thumb:

Vaughn Think the piece is really sharp.Always enjoy your pieces.:thumb:. The dye with the natural edge looks really good, but i'm still out on the cracks. I do like cracks in some pieces just not sure about this one.:huh: What the heck do i no anyway, this piece will probably be the first to sell at your next show, and bring big bucks.:dunno:
Steve

Cracks and all it's great!! I'm fond of wobble bowls, we use several at home for snacks. Donut idea sounds fun! Looks like you have the dye trick down pat:thumb: