Ugh. I really dislike this stuff

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
There are few things I really dislike - sanding drywall walls is one of them. However, sanding ceilings is even lower on the list.:(

I've removed the last 500 sf of popcorn ceiling in my home and now I'm doing the first sanding, trying to get the last remnants of the popcorn down. Fortunately I purchased a sander that hooks up to the shop vac/dust deputy and that, if not making it any eaiser, is making it nearly dust free.

Later today I get to try out the new stilts I bought! That should be fun.:eek::eek::rofl:

For the pic police...
DSC_0001.jpgDSC_0007_renamed_9167.jpg

I also removed all the hideous pink bathroom tile that the previous owner had put on the fireplace. Been wanting to do that for 13 years!:D
DSC_0002.jpg

Looking good Rennie!

Looks like you are adding some trim around the windows and doors too? Can't wait to see that detail, as I've got some ideas on doing the same around here...

Keep em coming!

Looking good Rennie! :thumb: I have to agree, sanding ceilings is no fun.

So what sander did you buy?
This one - on Amazon

It works well, but it's still killing my shoulders.:rofl:
And, yes, that is some new VG DF trim around the windows. It will continue into the dining area and be the same wood for the fireplace built-ins and maybe the kitchen cabinets.

what i was referring to earlier rennie isnt what you bought,, this one was sander that ran on electric not shoulders so much,, and some guys just dont know where to quit,, your gonna be busy all winter at this rate you keep adding more tot he pot here:)

well, even if you 'hate it', you're making progress.

pink bathroom... job 1 when Lori and I get to bridgewater!

pinkbathin.jpg
the tub and commode match the sink you can just see in the corner...

going to have a sledge party as soon as the budget allows...

Last edited:
Probably will need that one for additional wall jobs, but I think this is the one that Larry and I were talking about. Home Depot usually rents it for about $35 a day with the vacuum. It's not as heavy as it looks and works well for overhead situations like yours, still have to hand sand the corners in most cases.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11616

Whew, glad you can rent it, cause at 460 bucks, I'd expect it to come with it's own operator!

the porter cable pole sander works well but it's expensive.

I think this is the one that Larry and I were talking about. Home Depot usually rents it for about $35 a day with the vacuum. It's not as heavy as it looks and works well for overhead situations like yours, still have to hand sand the corners in most cases.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11616

what i was referring to earlier rennie isnt what you bought,, this one was sander that ran on electric not shoulders so much,, and some guys just dont know where to quit,, your gonna be busy all winter at this rate you keep adding more tot he pot here:)
I checked our local rental place - price about $30 a day, but they would have to get it from another store and it was out when I checked. Buying one was out of the questions at around $500. This is my last ceiling to do and I've just finished the first sanding. Granted, the electric might have been easier, but I was not sure when it would become available. Now, that being said, I forgot to check HD rentals.:doh:

As for being busy, it helps me forget my bride is 1800 miles away and we are not getting any action on her townhouse and the bureaucrats that run the retirement system told her it could take 5 months JUST TO GET A DETERMINATION on her eligibility!!!:eek::eek::eek: