Found a new product...and it works

Dom DiCara

Just an FYI to everyone. I went into that Large Orange Store yesterday to pick up a few things. One of those things were 4 ball type Bannister tops for the top of the pillars I am currently working on. They only had the pieces in pressure treated wood, which as you know, would look ugly...at best.

So I had a conversation with someone in the paint department and I told him that I was surprised that this store did not carry interior stair parts. Her answer to me was that no one ever bought the stuff. But she did have a chemical that would take all of the green color out of the wood. I said she would have to show me....and sure enough....she took one of the ball toppers the was pressure treated and dipped it into this solution. It worked like magic. All of the green color was gone....so my problem was solved. I did not know that even such a product existed.

It is made by Behr.....and is about 8 buck a quart.

must be some kind of bleach dom, whats it read on the can?

That's the funny part. It is advertised as a wood cleaner....nothing about removing the pigment associated with pressure treated wood. But damn if it doesn't work. And yes I am hoping that once the pieces are sanded and stained, they will not develop any issues like cracking.

Now you done it.... A Product that works!!!, tell the world and the EPA will condem it, Corperate will yank it from the shelves and re-configure it, we will never see it again.

Now you done it.... A Product that works!!!, tell the world and the EPA will condem it, Corperate will yank it from the shelves and re-configure it, we will never see it again.

That being said...and knowing our government they way we do...I might buy a case of it and stockpile it!

As an ex-employee of Behr Corporate and seeing the secret laboratories daily with all the scientist people in their paint splattered lab coats. They make stuff with long term goals. They take product quality, safety and sales life span quite seriously. As long as the product sells they will keep making it.

As employees we could volunteer to test new and redeveloped products outside the "paint" categories, wood cleaners to masonry sealers. We would take it home, use and write up our impressions of applying the product and final results. The products were near sales release formulation and most of them made it to market.

Cheers,