Large Colonial Poster Bed...Queen Size

Well, My design advise is the Finials atop the posts, IMHO they are undersized for the massive structure. 4" ball atop a 8" posts just doesn't quite make it. Perhaps a thinner cap piece would allow the 3 1/2 dia balls to blend in better. are these the PT ones you spoke about on anther posting? you might look at http://www.vandykes.com/category/wooden-products for some Bun feet or their Finials .

In the "I would have" category, I would suggest that instead of the raised panels on each Newel Post (Looks like a Newel Post to me) a recesssed panel would lend a supportive contrast to the fake drawer fronts of the foot & head boards.

This is a quite formible piece and will enhance any large bedroom.

Did you mention if it a Full sized or Queen? If a Queen or larger, you really need center support, a 5th leg in the center. Using a notch on the side rail supports, you can affix a cross rail (or slat) with a 5th or 6th leg to support the middle of the foundation.

I assume from your wife's comments, the Wedding issue has past and the princesses are all grown up but don't negate the need for a pair of cast iron bath tubs watching the sunset. Things do happen with a new bed. Never know when you might want to See Alice. :thumb:

Thanks Bill...Van Dykes looks awesome...Let me peruse the site a little. And yes it is a Queen...and Center support has been figured in already,

As for the Cast tubs......here in Florida we use Jacuzzi.....They work better when under screening....damn bugs down here

Well, My design advise is the Finials atop the posts, IMHO they are undersized for the massive structure. 4" ball atop a 8" posts just doesn't quite make it. Perhaps a thinner cap piece would allow the 3 1/2 dia balls to blend in better. are these the PT ones you spoke about on anther posting? you might look at http://www.vandykes.com/category/wooden-products for some Bun feet or their Finials .

In the "I would have" category, I would suggest that instead of the raised panels on each Newel Post (Looks like a Newel Post to me) a recesssed panel would lend a supportive contrast to the fake drawer fronts of the foot & head boards.

This is a quite formible piece and will enhance any large bedroom.

Did you mention if it a Full sized or Queen? If a Queen or larger, you really need center support, a 5th leg in the center. Using a notch on the side rail supports, you can affix a cross rail (or slat) with a 5th or 6th leg to support the middle of the foundation.

I assume from your wife's comments, the Wedding issue has past and the princesses are all grown up but don't negate the need for a pair of cast iron bath tubs watching the sunset. Things do happen with a new bed. Never know when you might want to See Alice. :thumb:

Bill...I spent an hour looking at the headboard and I like your idea of a raised panel on the pillars.

As for seeing Alice...we have to be about the same age:rofl:

I took Bill, Bobs, and Larry's advice and re-did the headboard. Extended the top and added a fleur-de-lis. Also added the raised panels instead of the cut panels I had on...thanks to Bill.

Also, Larry...here are the rail attachments you told me about...they worked out well. I still have to change the raised panels on the Footboard. After that the bed will be in the sanding phase. Gonna take some time. But the wife is happy, so I am happy. After this....the nightstands and dressers.

Thanks again for all of the help. You all made this a great project!

The model in the first photo is my 16 year old......I think she wants to be on the Price is Right!:D

Attachments

• 100_0696.jpg
    100_0696.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_0698.jpg
    100_0698.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_0699.jpg
    100_0699.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 21
one thing i dont see but might be there dom is the center support that bill mentioned.. its one you done want to forget..looking good otherwize and your daughter seems to be thinking it may be hers some day:)

That looks great Dom :thumb:

Your daughter sure has that look on her face like its her bed.

What center support are you talking about Larry. I would just take the same material he used for the cross supports for the box spring and run one down the center and screw it to each cross support.

one thing i dont see but might be there dom is the center support that bill mentioned.. its one you done want to forget..looking good otherwize and your daughter seems to be thinking it may be hers some day:)

I have it ready...I will install it before final assembly. Yeah...she does look like she wants one for her very own.....not yet. I built her bed about 5 years ago....and it is still functional. Maybe when she is ready to move out....in about 20 years!:rofl:

That looks great Dom :thumb:

Your daughter sure has that look on her face like its her bed.

What center support are you talking about Larry. I would just take the same material he used for the cross supports for the box spring and run one down the center and screw it to each cross support.

I am using adjustable screw down supports...(basically a piece of all thread with a cushion foot at the bottom. I have 5 of them ready to go.