Improvement

Got this saw from my FIL a few years back. Cincinnati Saw Co. He got it at a yard sale. Thought I'd work on it a little bit. You can see it needs it!
Before.resized.jpg
Before closeup1.resized.jpg
Before closeup2.resized.jpg
Gathered up some tools.
Tools used.resized.jpg
Not perfect but much better now.
Much better.resized.jpg
Cut on the right is before, very slow and crooked.Other cuts after.
Cuts pretty straight.resized.jpg
Too small for my big meats. Need to make a new handle.
Too small.resized.jpg
Need to make a handle.resized.jpg
Thanks for looking.

well victor your making your place more intersting each post you make.. if your in to sharpening saws your in the right place.. there are alot of folks looking for that skill.:D:thumb::thumb:

Very nice, Victor. :thumb:

Sort of silly, but serious question: The tools you used to rehab the saw look like they could have come out of any of our granddad's toolboxes...except for the Sharpie. What did they use in the old days before Sharpies and Magic Markers were available?

Whoa there Victor. Here i thought i hit paydirt. Finally a Neader on our forum that will pass on the "knowledge" except for saw sharpening.:D

So i follow pic 1 mmm pic2 getting warmer, pic 3 now we talking who beat that poor thing up. Then pic 4 wow i like the handle on your file, then pic 5 what:eek: all finished.

Robbed i tell you. Robbed. :rofl: What happened between 4 and 5. Thats the meat and potatoes that count?:huh:

You cannot go round teasing people like this.:rofl::rofl:

Jokes aside great job. Did you put any set on those teeth? Did not see a saw set in the tools pic??? and looking at the cuts the new ones seem wider or is it just the picture.

Any chance you would do a picture tutorial for us visual learners?;)

This is high on my Neader journey. I have about 6 saws waiting in the wings to do. Some are deliberately practice versions some i dont want to mess with until i have convinced myself i have reach the right level of skill.

So how about it??

Thanks for posting what you have , great to get the ball rolling.:):thumb::thumb:

We need guys like you here.:thumb:

Very nice, Victor. :thumb:

Sort of silly, but serious question: The tools you used to rehab the saw look like they could have come out of any of our granddad's toolboxes...except for the Sharpie. What did they use in the old days before Sharpies and Magic Markers were available?

Vaughn, The purpose of the Sharpie is to help me keep track of where I have filed. I've read folks used to use soot from an open flame or perhaps a small wire with nuts (as in nuts and bolts) affixed to the ends.

Whoa there Victor. Here i thought i hit paydirt. Finally a Neader on our forum that will pass on the "knowledge" except for saw sharpening.:D

So i follow pic 1 mmm pic2 getting warmer, pic 3 now we talking who beat that poor thing up. Then pic 4 wow i like the handle on your file, then pic 5 what:eek: all finished.

Robbed i tell you. Robbed. :rofl: What happened between 4 and 5. Thats the meat and potatoes that count?:huh:

You cannot go round teasing people like this.:rofl::rofl:

Jokes aside great job. Did you put any set on those teeth? Did not see a saw set in the tools pic??? and looking at the cuts the new ones seem wider or is it just the picture.

Any chance you would do a picture tutorial for us visual learners?;)

This is high on my Neader journey. I have about 6 saws waiting in the wings to do. Some are deliberately practice versions some i dont want to mess with until i have convinced myself i have reach the right level of skill.

So how about it??

Thanks for posting what you have , great to get the ball rolling.:):thumb::thumb:

We need guys like you here.:thumb:

Rob,
Before I reply to your questions I have a bone to pick with you. I am not the spelling police. I can ignore most any spelling mistakes as they are usually unimportant in the transfer of knowledge on internet forums. However, having run without a pack for too long now and greatly desiring to be accepted into a pack again, I have become a needy needer that feels he has been kneed enough already. I do not wish to alienate you for it is you Sir who has drawn me into posting with your dovetail challenge. Please Rob, it's neander. For Neanderthal. Acceptable alternatives for me are knuckle dragger or galoot. OK. Enough said. I feel better.:eek:

I made that file handle last week after gleaning the how to from the innertubes. Thanks to all who share.:thumb:

I did not set this saw. It is a dovetail saw filed rip. The process of filing introduces a very fine set has been considered desirable in a dovetail saw. I also do not own a set tool small enough for the job.

Rob, I want to encourage you and all others to file your saws. It is not difficult. I'm on my last cup of coffee and when I finish this post I'll head out to the garage (er shop) and attempt a proper tutorial without any teasers.

Thanks for the correction

Victor,

Thanks for correcting the spelling there. I was starting to wonder if there was a new breed of hand tool weirdo that I hadn't run into before. Knuckle dragging works for me.

On the setting, yours is the 1st time I've heard that the act of filing adds or introduces some set. It makes some sense to me, but I'm surprised it would be enough to be useful.

Dick

another link found threw this thread victor, i have been fortunate to have gotten my great uncles tool box and in it was a couple old nuts on a thin wire. i dont know if i kept them or not.. but i wish i had now after seeing the reason for them,,i have the vice and the file and the height adjuster you show i know thats not the right name for it but the tool that has a file on top of it..

Victor,

Thanks for correcting the spelling there. I was starting to wonder if there was a new breed of hand tool weirdo that I hadn't run into before. Knuckle dragging works for me.

On the setting, yours is the 1st time I've heard that the act of filing adds or introduces some set. It makes some sense to me, but I'm surprised it would be enough to be useful.

Dick

Hi Dick,
This is the first saw I've sharpened without setting. I got the info on not setting dovetail saws from Leonard Lee's book on sharpening. To be fair to Mr. Lee I believe (from memory here) he was speaking anecdotally and was not advocating the practice. I'm not sold on the idea and regret putting that into my post.. When testing that saw on 1/4" cherry, after sharpening, I experienced binding in the kerf. I waxed the saw and it was an improvement but still not my cuppa tea. When I get up the nerve I think I will try adding set by the ole hammer method. Thanks for calling me out on this and giving me the impetus to alter the record.