FWW Visit - Vaughn, Glenn, Dan, Dan and Jim

glenn bradley

Well Dad and I headed out to Vaughn's (despite the fact that he lives in The Valley) to see this eccentric base:

a-Vaughn Visit eccentric base-1.jpgb-Vaughn Visit eccentric base-2.jpg

Due to a gross mismatch in height:

c-Vaughn Visit 081510 002.jpg

Vaughn was forced to implement the Jim-avator elevation device:

c-Vaughn Visit 081510 008.jpg

Once the height relationship was taken care of, Dad got right to it:

d-Vaughn Visit 081510 022.jpg

Dan and his dad, Dan stopped by:

e-Vaughn Visit 081510 014.jpg

Vaughn stated "The whole gang's here":

f-Vaughn Visit 081510 013.jpg

He is such a cut-up:

g-Vaughn Visit 081510 001.jpg

Then Dan (the younger) took a whack at the eccentric plate:

h-Vaughn Visit 081510 026.jpg

and a good time was had by all.

I almost forgot . . . the base allows you to do stuff like this:

Vaughn-Visit-081510-pendant.jpg

Vaughn made this one while giving dad and I a demo before the two Dans got there. Dad made one but I didn't get a pic. I'm sure Dan and Dan (or Vaughn) will post pics of any other objects-de-art that resulted from this extravaganza. I of course, abstained as I am resistant to the pull of The Vortex. ;-)

Last edited:
I sent it with the bottle stopper attachment didn't I? :dunno:
Man that looks like a great time! :thumb:
So, only one pendant made it to completion!!! :eek::doh::rofl::rofl:

Bottle stopper? - check

Great time? - yeppers!

Completion? - I blew up 3! :D

It was fun. I got to take my hand at using modern turning equipment. I need to be a wee bit less aggressive with cutting tools.

Last edited:
Yep, we had a great time. I'm pretty sure we spent at least as much time visiting as turning, but I think that was part of the plan. :D Jim and Glenn make quite the tag-team comedy group, and it was great to see Dan again and meet his dad. (Very handy that he is also named Dan. Made it a lot easier to remember his name.) :p Dan Sr. seemed to get a kick out of identifying all the different woods that we had sitting around to play with. (Of which we only used a little bit.)

I didn't get as many pics as I should have, but here's a bit more for the album...

Jim hooked up to the Mustard Monster:

Jim Turning 1.jpg Jim Turning 2.jpg

I want to mention that he's wearing safety glasses, with side protection. We were keeping the lathe speed down so if the piece did happen to come loose, it wouldn't have enough speed to do any damage. I did wear my face shield when I was doing the eccentric cuts on the demo piece...at 900 or so RPM that could leave a mark if it came loose.

And The Gang, complete with sun flare on my camera lens:

The Gang.jpg

For a more accurate rendition of the group shot, it was necessary to animate it:

Click Here

Dan also brought along a great old set of Buck Brothers turning tools. (At least 60 years old, as I recall.) The set was definitely geared towards spindle turning, but they were all in excellent shape and nice and sharp. Hopefully he'll post a thread showing them off. This one chisel, really got my attention. It's got a single bevel like a bedan, but it's about 2" wide. It looked like a short-handled log builder's slick. The unique part about it was the serrated edge. Here are a few pics:

Scalloped Slick 1.jpg Scalloped Slick 2.jpg Scalloped Slick 3.jpg

That thing looks like it could do some serious wood removal on a large spindle.

I don't have any more pics handy showing any of the finished pendants I've made in my experimenting with Jon's eccentric backer plate, but I'm going to be putting together a how-to in the Turning forum in a day or so, and it'll have plenty of pics, both in progress and completed pieces. ;)

As I said, it was a great time. I really appreciated the fact that these four guys drove quite a way (several hours, in Jim's case) to come up and visit our place. Thanks to all four of you for the fine company. :thumb:

Hey Glenn, now that you've seen where Big Tujunga Canyon is in relation to my house, picture that whole mountain (north of the river bottom) burning about a year ago. :rolleyes:

That get together must have been such great fun. Way to go all of you.:thumb:

Jonathan its amazing what sending a small device around can spark off.

Vaughn the animation is fantastic.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Color me green with envy. Escpecially when i consider there were three comics around for the afternoon. I am sure i would have had stomach aches from laughing. :D

Thanks all for the great shots and sharing it with us.

Hey Vaughn that left over chocolate still has uses from what i see. :D It aint done yet.;)

ok guys first of all that wasnt nice setting the old guy u on that platform,jim didnt you notice that it was covered in tin foil great conductor for electricity huh,,wonder what vaughn had planned?? and that peice of wood that was missing from that hole needs to be seen as well vaughn:) and to have apair of smiley dans is always agood thing;) great pics and i am sure it was great time.:D:thumb:

I sent it with the bottle stopper attachment didn't I? :dunno:...

Yeppers, your bottle stopper mandrel is still in the box. It's Jet size, not Powermatic size. :p I've got a 1 1/4" spindle, so the 1" mandrel didn't fit. I have a reducing adaptor, but between it and the mandrel, I was getting a bit of runout. But no problem, because I have a stopper mandrel on a Morse taper 2 with a drawbolt. Works like a champ. I made a few more pendants after the guys left, and took a pile of pictures. I'll go through them and post a tutorial in a day or two. Once I'm sure I've got all the pics I need, I'll send the backer plate to Antonio. Looks like we made a few too many blanks, so it's a good thing there's some extra room in the box. ;)

...Hey Vaughn that left over chocolate still has uses from what i see. :D It aint done yet.;)

The guys saw the roughed-out platter that came out of that hole in the chocolate bar. It's dry now, so Sunday night I put it back onto the lathe and finished turning it. I've got some sanding to do, then a week or more of finishing. It's gonna be a showstopper, so I won't rush the finishing. :) I have three other green chocolate blanks about 12" or so in diameter. If Dan would have been able to stay a bit longer, I was hoping to load one of them up on the lathe and let him get a few practice runs with a bowl gouge. The rest of that slab is in a sturdy frame to protect the bark, and sitting in climate-controlled storage a couple miles away. One of these days I need to post some pics of the framed-up slab. So many posts, so little time. :rolleyes:

And Jim, I just realized that I forgot to have a look at your turning tools. I had meant to offer to give them a quick touch-up on the Tormek while you guys were here, and I completely forgot to do it. I thought about it briefly when I was looking at Dan's tools, but his set was already in nice shape, so I forgot about it. :doh:

MAN that looked like fun.

I really envy the father/son thing. Sure must be cool to have the ol'man around to play with.

BTW, Jim - nice move on the side flaps on yer safety glasses - but - birkenstocks??? LOL! :D

Hi All,

I PM'ed Vaughn and told him that Glenn and I had a wonderful time. I also told him the trip was 289.9 miles and that I was glad my car didn't hog gasoline.

YES, to the fact that it is great than Glenn and I have such a wonderful relationship. I wish all fathers and sons had the same.

By the way, Vaughn's wife is a really nice person. Be sure to meet her if you get a chance.

Enjoy,

Jim

I really envy the father/son thing. Sure must be cool to have the ol'man around to play with.

That father/son thing is sometimes due to changes in life. First I had to learn to limit what information I give my dad and just ignore anything that pisses me off (unless it's hurtful to other family members.)

My dad recently had health problems that resulted in losing his driver's license. So for the sanity of my mom I take him around with me when I can. Close proximity to my dad is frustrating at times, but it's a choice I'm happy to make. I guess that's part of the father/son thing.

I have learned a lot from my dad in both positive and negative ways, and I still keep learning.

So keep up with the earlier generations. You'll be there soon enough too.

Cheers,

Hi All,

That milage had to be 389.9 or someone else has been using my car. I have only gone to the gym since the Vaughn trip and my odometer said 402.3. I guess I just could not believe the car went that far. I'm going to get out a map and check it. I am "Positive" I zeroed the odometer before pulling out of the driveway.

Anyway, it was great.

Enjoy,

Jim

You'll have to forgive my dad and his inability to just say "it was quite a drive". The three-hundred-point oh-niner-five" mile thing must've come from his dad. He tried to give the over-specific disease to me but I fight it off about 98.673% of the time ;-)