Routed Bowl question

I have all the ingredients (tools) to rout a bowl. The question I have is there are two ways of doing it, use a router table or do it free hand. I would like to hear from people who have done this and what their opinions on the two choices are.

Thanks, DKT

I have all the ingredients (tools) to rout a bowl. The question I have is there are two ways of doing it, use a router table or do it free hand. I would like to hear from people who have done this and what their opinions on the two choices are.

Thanks, DKT
choice#3 lathe.:D Don't have a opinion on the two options just thought i'd throw in choice#3 :rofl::rofl:
Sorrry can't resist.:D
Steve

Making a bowl or platter with a router, you use a template and route it from the top, not on a router table.

Attachments

• Bowl Template.jpg
    Bowl Template.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Bowl.02.jpg
    Bowl.02.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Bowl.01.jpg
    Bowl.01.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 22
I have the kit. I have different templates to make different shaped bowls.
You need a router collet extension also.
AFter hogging out most of the inside with a fortsner bit, a plunge router will use the bowl bit with a guide and finish the job as long as you secure the template down.
I made one dish, did not secure the template down, and when it moved, I tilted the router and dug a little into the walls.
I was experimenting, its a simple process, and if you take the time and glue up interesting contrasting colors of wood, you can turn out beautiful trays, candy dishes, skys the limit.(and its not difficult, nor do you need a huge lathe or turning tools)
I saw some work done with the router bit and collet extension at a local show.
The trays were spectacular, and not alot of work.
for the question, Id use the router free hand, with the guide on the bit and the templates, pretty easy to use.