Just when i thought i had seen it all! $70 for a screwdriver????

Rob Keeble

Well i got to this site from the editors blog of popular woodworking. They come across some interesting stuff because of the handtool emphasis Chris Schwartz brings to the table.

Take a look at these guys

http://www.elkheadtools.com/catalog/item/7460478/8047475.htm

I like tools as much as the next guy, but screwdrivers at $70 each i think is going a bit tooooooo far ....dont you?

A set of these is going for $630. I dont even think i would buy them if i won the lotto.:huh:

You can see how they came about and were made with the story here
http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/The+Ferrari+Of+Screwdrivers.aspx

What do you think????

Must be some high end guys that would like that, but with the abuse screwdrivers get around here, well, I'd be afraid to use one.

Most turners could make pretty handles like that. I often make my own.
But, I suppose offerings like those can be compared to turned pens. Mine sell from $35.00 to $300.00.
Folks sometimes say they can buy a pen that writes for 99 cents. Both write.
OTOH, if they are making a living selling them, more power. Good old American free enterprise.
But, I ain't buying none. ;)

Very true Frank, and they could be 'gifts for the person who has everything' type gifts.

I could see it if maybe they were gunsmithing screwdrivers too.

some high dollar tools are worth it and others are just high priced tools. the times when we get a low dollar tool and it supposed to be as good as the high dollar one and yet we ned to buy it three times for the same use then we can go back ask ourselves why we done that..

I can only attest to what I have seen, not screw drivers but chisels, mallets and such at Blue Spruce tools when we were on tour. Expensive, yes, but if I could afford them I would have a complete set of everything he makes, nothing but pure quality and beauty and worth every penny:)

There are some high quality tools out there. There are also the tool selling versions of Sharper Image where you don't exactly get what you pay for every time ;-) Garrett Wade comes to mind (no offense intended to any GW fans).

I put this $219 hammer in the same category...

At least the $219 hammer has some unique features that others don't. The titanium composition and odd shape apparently make it a pleasure to use all day. I've seen discussions on other forums where guys who used the Stiletto hammer swore by it. Lighter weight but with driving capabilities of a heavier hammer.

The wood handled screwdrivers, on the other hand, don't look much different from other wood handled screwdrivers. :huh:

At least the $219 hammer has some unique features that others don't. The titanium composition and odd shape apparently make it a pleasure to use all day. I've seen discussions on other forums where guys who used the Stiletto hammer swore by it. Lighter weight but with driving capabilities of a heavier hammer.

The wood handled screwdrivers, on the other hand, don't look much different from other wood handled screwdrivers. :huh:

Re: titanium hammers.. pure manure.

Think about it, "the hammer is lighter so it is easier to swing". Just use a smaller steel hammer. Simple physics. It's the construction equivalent of designer high heels.

Or am I missing some sort of string quantum effects of magical titanium?

Re: titanium hammers.. pure manure.

Think about it, "the hammer is lighter so it is easier to swing". Just use a smaller steel hammer. Simple physics. It's the construction equivalent of designer high heels.

Or am I missing some sort of string quantum effects of magical titanium?

I dunno the difference in feel, but I've seen posts from working carpenters who say they won't go back to a steel hammer. I think it also has something to do with the oversized head and the overall design of the hammer. Not saying I'd buy one, but they must be selling...I see they're sold out on the site Tony linked to.

Check out the Amazon reviews...

http://www.amazon.com/Stiletto-TB15MS-Ti-Bone-Titanium-Straight/dp/B00006K158

I have seen all of this before. No one is going to admit making a $220 mistake.

In all seriousness the energy put into a nail is going to be a factor of the hammerhead weight and speed. A heavy hammer at a certain speed will transfer the same amount of energy as a lighter hammer with a higher speed.

The steel or titanium hammer cannot "create" energy, it only transfers it. It just wouldn't be manly having a small steel hammer head at the end of a framing length handle. As far as having an ergonomic handle, look at all the different handles out their right now. A specific shape in one material is still the same shape in another, it doesn't morph because it is titanium. The point of energy transfer is still a steel face. So the impact between the nail and the hammer is transferred through the same material.

Now you might bring up the case of titanium golf equipment, in that case they are designing the hollow spaces behind the thin faces of the clubs and drivers to deform and rebound taking advantage of the characteristics of titanium. The faces of the hammers being solid steel in both cases would not impart the energy differently.

As far as I can tell these are nothing more than vanity hammers marketed very smartly.

Last edited:
...In all seriousness the energy put into a nail is going to be a factor of the hammerhead weight and speed. A heavy hammer at a certain speed will transfer the same amount of energy as a lighter hammer with a higher speed...

I agree with the physics, but I suspect the lighter weight allows for higher swinging speed, giving the same driving force as a heavier hammer with less fatigue. Would a lighter weight steel hammer have the same effect? I don't know, because I'm not sure what (if anything) the titanium composition adds to the equation. I'm just saying I believe there's more to them than marketing hype.

I have seen all of this before. No one is going to admit making a $220 mistake.

In all seriousness the energy put into a nail is going to be a factor of the hammerhead weight and speed. A heavy hammer at a certain speed will transfer the same amount of energy as a lighter hammer with a higher speed.

The steel or titanium hammer cannot "create" energy, it only transfers it. It just wouldn't be manly having a small steel hammer head at the end of a framing length handle. As far as having an ergonomic handle, look at all the different handles out their right now. A specific shape in one material is still the same shape in another, it doesn't morph because it is titanium. The point of energy transfer is still a steel face. So the impact between the nail and the hammer is transferred through the same material.

Now you might bring up the case of titanium golf equipment, in that case they are designing the hollow spaces behind the thin faces of the clubs and drivers to deform and rebound taking advantage of the characteristics of titanium. The faces of the hammers being solid steel in both cases would not impart the energy differently.

As far as I can tell these are nothing more than vanity hammers marketed very smartly.

I agree with the physics, but I suspect the lighter weight allows for higher swinging speed, giving the same driving force as a heavier hammer with less fatigue. Would a lighter weight steel hammer have the same effect? I don't know, because I'm not sure what (if anything) the titanium composition adds to the equation. I'm just saying I believe there's more to them than marketing hype.

well from a physisist view it's quit simple F=MV^2 that force is equal to the mass times the velocity squared No not knowing the mass of the titanium hammer and not knowing how much the velocity is increased I suspect that the increased driving power is negligaile and maybe even less.