Life is good - kids in the shop

Jim Mattheiss

My daughter wanted some additional storage in her room a sketched out something. Think tiny open back bookcase - 24" tall - 12" deep and 20" wide - with top/bottom/sides and 2 shelves.

Last night I did the cutting alone as I'm not sure I want her on the table saw yet. Right now she's in the garage with my orbital sander, vacuum and ear protection sanding all the parts.

Once that's done she will help me drill the pocket holes and assemble it.

If we get that done tonight tomorrow is finishing night. She was talking to Mom wondering when/if this project will get done. The ball is in her court now. . .

I'll get a pic of her with the sander in a few minutes and post it along with some during assembly.

My Morris Chair is on hiatus - I messed up the tenons and have to recut a bunch of pieces. I'm going to build a few small items with M&T joinery before I pick up that project again. It was a little ambitious again.

Cheers

Jim

Just delivered the completed item all the way upstairs into my daughters room.

For the picture police I have 3 pictures.

The first picture is my daughter sanding the shelves. The background shows the devastation that is my garage.

The second and third pictures show the finished bookshelf in place. It's already getting covered up.

Cheers

Jim

Attachments

• 002 (Medium).JPG
    002 (Medium).JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF9090 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF9090 (Medium).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF9091 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF9091 (Medium).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 32
That's great stuff, Jim. :thumb: it sounds cliché, but the look on her face says it all. And looking at the shine on the top of the new bookcase, it looks like all her sanding paid of.

@Rob: I setup the sander and vacuum, showed her how to put the H&L paper on the sander, gave her the progression of grits and went upstairs. She did a pretty good job. I admit to "touching up" a little after we assembled it. She said it was "Good Enough" but it needed a little love.

@Vaughn: Yes - a little sanding and 3 coats of wipe on poly gave it a pretty good shine. She wasn't so happy staining it - the insides of the 3 openings and the outside make up a large area to stain.

Like I said before - she was breaking my toes as the project was starting - about how long the project was going to take for me to complete. I turned the project around on her.

She did the sanding, the assembly and most of the finishing work pretty much on her schedule. There were some nights when she didn't want to work on it an I got to tease her about it.

She got a mini bookcase for her stuff and she now sees all that is involved in a "simple" project like that. Good knowledge for her.

Thanks for following along at home.

Cheers

Jim