GRReat!!

Stuart Ablett

I just got my GRR-Ripper GR-200 in the mail, first out of the box impression, WOW a well made, well thought out tool! :thumb:

I really should have gotten one years ago!

images

My 76 year old Dad recently picked up a good used benchtop tablesaw, he cuts small pieces of hardwood and plywood for his RC airplane building, he used to go to his friends house to use his saw, but the friend has been busy and or not so healthy anymore, so Dad got a saw himself. I am honestly worried about him cutting a finger, so I suggested the GRR-Ripper, I told him how good it is. He asked me then "Why don't you have one?" :rolleyes::D Good ole Dad, cuts right to the chase, I had no good answer, so I ordered one for him and one for me from Lee Valley. I got mine today, and they were ordered on the same day, he has yet to get his :wave:
It will be his birthday present, I'm sure it will serve him well, I also got the DVD which is great for putting it together etc.

I cannot recommend this little tool highly enough, it is that good!

Cheers! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Alright, another convert. :thumb: On my saw, it's much better (and safer, IMHO) than the factory blade guard when ripping, especially small pieces. That's one of the reasons my guard is never on the saw.

Drew and Bob, you are welcome :D:wave:

I think it was $69.95 for the GR-200B model that I got, which is not expensive, I agree, and it really looks like it will work great!

I think I'll put a second one on my Christmas list :thumb:

Well made too, has a very solid feel to it.

Cheers!

I took the sliding piece out of one of mine and sanded the channel just a bit with 400 grit. This made things move a bit easier as it tended to bind. The other one has had no problems. Just thought I would mention it, in case. These things really shine on small parts work but are handy for many, many things. I tweak the handle at a slight angle for a more comfortable grip.

Last edited:
Two upgrades you might consider:

1. The hardware kit for the handle that lets it fit on at an angle. Having the handle at an angle helps keep the Grripper firmly against the saw's fence; and

2. The 1/8" hold-down piece, for cutting very thin pieces without cutting the Gripper.

I have two Grippers, and have the handle device on both, and the 1/8" piece on one. Like 'em both.

+1 on what Jim said about the add ons. I found that they are really worth the extra coin. The changing of the handle orientation such that your hand automatically pushes it towards the fence.

Nice of you to come in from the cold Stu.:D Now try the spitters.;)

Thanks for the post now I will have to go and have a look at one tomorrow. I was just there tonight too. You know your in trouble when the staff know who you are by name. :doh:

yup know that feeling drew,, even when a new guy asks who you are and wants the phone number the other person says we already got his number:)

as for the griper thing well yu guys are tryun real hard to make me spend tomorrows dollars arent you:)

Looks like I would need 2. Seems like most of the stuff I rip is 3' or more. Rockler has them at $59.00. Less 25%.
Those add-ons sound tempting, but I think I'll try the standard one out first.

Bob, if I'm ripping something longer than about 3 feet, I'll feed all but the last few feet by hand (no need to get close to the blade for that), then use the Grr-Ripper to finish the cut. I leave the Grr-Ripper sitting on just on the other side of the fence, and I can pick it up and start using it without stopping the cut. I have a pair, but I still end up using only one at a time.

Bob, if I'm ripping something longer than about 3 feet, I'll feed all but the last few feet by hand (no need to get close to the blade for that), then use the Grr-Ripper to finish the cut. I leave the Grr-Ripper sitting on just on the other side of the fence, and I can pick it up and start using it without stopping the cut. I have a pair, but I still end up using only one at a time.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Stu,

Congrats on the Grr-ripper:thumb: I have the model below yours and use it quite frequently. I do just about the same thing that Vaughn mentioned below for longer pieces. At some point I'll likely pick up another one to use as a pair.

I got the GR-200 a couple of months ago. I can honestly say that I feel more comfortable now when using the Grr-Ripper than I did before with a regular push stick. Haven't found a good way to use it yet for resawing wood wider than 3"; it works greater for resawing smaller pieces but if you need to make multiple cuts, just haven't figured out anything good yet.

I only have one device; may get a second one of these days.

Jim

I love the GRR-Ripper so much so that I bought two. I purchased the first with the DVD and when I saw the video of how to use two of them to rip boards safely I bought the second one. I've used them many times now and glad I have them!

never got to rockler the day of the sale. I did happen to swing by the woodcraft store in portsmouth but they wanted $73.:eek:
Wasn't in the tool budget anyway.:( but our anniversary is coming up shortly. I think my wife would love one :D

go to ebay do a search for "GRR-Ripper" very good prices --- I think the prices are good anyway -- maybe better somewhere else but don't think so..

the GRR-Ripper (x2) were my Christmas present.

put them together watched the DVD and put them back into the box.

I guess I will get them back out and overcome my fear of having my hand move OVER the spinning blade...