New (to me) toy!

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
024.JPG

I got a Deere! Been looking a long time. It needs some cosmetic work and a couple of mechanical things, but it is usable as is. The mower deck won't stay up and the brakes are almost non-existent. Also need a new seat and a new steering wheel. And an owners manual. Now to start cruisin' on Ebay.

No more pushing a mower, or hauling stuff in the wheel barrel. After I bought it I hiked on over to Harbor Freight and got a pair of ramps for my trailer and the little dump wagon.

The wagon doesn't look like much but it is quite ingeniously designed. Stronger than it appears. Took all morning to put together! Finally got the impact out with the socket driver. That made shorter work of the 70 or so screws, washers, and nuts.

Now I need to go buy a grease gun. I used to have one but it has found a really good place to hide. The only way I know to find it is to go buy another one! Funny how that works.

Good going Carol! :thumb: :thumb:

I think you'll really appreciate having a dump wagon. I got garden tractor a couple of years ago to mow the front yard here. Too bad the grass is all brown now :(

But the wagon I got for it sure makes up for not having to mow grass. It's probably about the same size as yours. Looks flimsy but can hold a pretty good amount. Probably at least 3 wheelbarrows worth. Really handy for hauling stuff around.

I made another little trailer for the wagon out of some 2x4 scraps and a a couple of pneumatic 4"x8" tires from harbor freight. It's real low to the ground and makes it easy to put the garbage cans in for hauling the trash to the end of the drive.

good solid tractor carol, i have the 185 hydro.. the only thing i have had trouble with is the frnt drive clutch.. and few mower belts.. the idler tends to cease up some and cook belts.. so a shot of oil on the sealed bearings on the idler each season will help it on the left side of the mower deck under that little cover..

I've got that same little trailer. Mine started to rust almost immediately, so after a year or so, I stripped it and painted it JD green - just couldn't stand the mismatch! :D

I also used bed liner 'paint' on the interior of the bed, It's lasted 4 years now with the new paint, and still looks good.

Where are the brakes on yours? The newer ones seem to use the transmission for braking - there are no brake drums or shoes.

Finally got the impact out with the socket driver. That made shorter work of the 70 or so screws, washers, and nuts.

I must be getting lazy. I hardly ever use a regular screwdriver if I can help it. Seems like I'm always grabbing the little ryobi even for standard screwdriver type chores... Those things are great little time and wrist savers... :thumb:

Last edited:
Good looking setup Carol.:thumb::thumb: It will be quite a time saver and work saver for you. After you get accustomed to using the tractor and trailer you will never want to be with out one.

Good deal and info on the trailer, was going to have to get one myself when we get moved.

I think I've got a line on a Deere myself, I think it's a 318, was told it has the pto and 3 point hitch...for $500 :eek: :thumb:

Will have to locate a mower deck for it, but figured I'll still be way ahead.

A 318 was my first choice, Darren, but there is not a lot of choice out here. This is a solid geared tranny instead of the hydro.

Larry, since yours is the same as mine except for the tranny, what can you tell me about the brakes?

I am now looking for a front end snowblower. I will get an electric hydraulic pump and install hydraulics. The 318 already has them. :thumb:

I do plan on extra weight in the back to keep it on the ground and eventually the tires will be replaced with ag tires for better traction. Its not like I have a turf that I need turf tires! :rofl:

Thanks for the thought on paint, Jim. I am thinking Deere green for the trailer but not this year. :D

The dump trailer is rated for 600 pounds, and is pulled by that silly sheet metal plate on the back of the tractor. That will be replaced with something a bit more robust, and a hitch receiver will be added so I can pull my street trailer.

It is much bigger for hauling stuff. It is a 5x8 HF that has been suitably reinforced with lots of tie downs. I have to empty a shed to move the shed. The bigger trailer will come in handy for that task.

The shed will get moved by come-alongs tied to the various trees until it is out of the way. Right now it trespasses on the spot for the new shop!

Used to have a bigger tractor when I lived in California. But I also had 1 1/4 acres of dirt to manage. Now I have less than 1/2 an acre but a much worse back. So I traded about 8 visits to the chiropractor for this little green baby. Woo hoo! :D:D:D:D :thumb::thumb::thumb:

well on mine carol all i got for brakes is a belt than loosens up when i hit the foot pedal to take the connection of the clutch motor..if you have no brakes i would suggest a new belt first,, does it mow? maybe the clutch is bad but if it mows well then its the belt and linkage adjustment..its basically just a clutch pedal. how many hp is it?

darren that is steal for good 318... and the mower deck around here is hard to find a good one..

Carol, your unit has a rod from the brake pedal down the right hand side to the transmission. There it hooks to a lever that rotate to engage the brake. On the outside of the lever the is a nut that takes a 1/2" wrench. Turn the nut about a 1/2 to a full turn and see if the brake works. You may have to turn more if you still don't have brake. The other thing is the brake pucks (pads) may be worn enough that they are hitting each other and then the puck can't sqeeze the disc. If you need more info let me know. Deere lawn and garden is my day life. Wood my night life.

Thanks, Rex. Glad you're a Deere guy. I will need some direction. I will check the rod tomorrow.

Two other questions. What do I check to see why the deck won't stay up? And, it would not start tonight. Didn't even make an effort. Dash lights came on OK. Suspect a lock-out adjustment somewhere? It did the same thing when I went to take it off the trail. I fuddled around some and then it fired right up. Tonight it was dark when I wanted to put it under the carport. Had to push it. Not easy, and certainly not good for my back!

Thanks for your help!

well on mine carol all i got for brakes is a belt than loosens up when i hit the foot pedal to take the connection of the clutch motor..if you have no brakes i would suggest a new belt first,, does it mow? maybe the clutch is bad but if it mows well then its the belt and linkage adjustment..its basically just a clutch pedal. how many hp is it?

darren that is steal for good 318... and the mower deck around here is hard to find a good one..

Larry are you sure about that, almost all of them have a disc brake back on the transaxile. The linkage is often shared with the belt tensioner pedal so you may only have one pedal. Usually even have a rod to pull and set the brake for parking..

My son has a JD 112 and a 317 and they both have brakes. Now I know they are older.

I am not sure but I don't think I have ever seen a yard tractor with a brake... Some have been as simple as pulling a bar against the tires like my old wheel horse 26 in rider.

Larry are you sure about that, almost all of them have a disc brake back on the transaxile. The linkage is often shared with the belt tensioner pedal so you may only have one pedal. Usually even have a rod to pull and set the brake for parking..

My son has a JD 112 and a 317 and they both have brakes. Now I know they are older.

I am not sure but I don't think I have ever seen a yard tractor with a brake... Some have been as simple as pulling a bar against the tires like my old wheel horse 26 in rider.

well i didnt turn it over last night like i did the other day so you maybe right,, i do have aparking brake handle so maybe i do have pads like rex mentioned..never to old to learn.. i just saw the pedal take pressure of the clutch housing and assumed i had that for the brake is all but i quess that wouldnt stop it from rolling so i was wrong first time last night and more to come today:) should have looked further and saw more..:D thanks foir tellun me i was all wet:rofl::rofl:

Well i never cease to be amazed.:eek::eek: You North Americans are a unique group. Only lawnmower i ever had was one with gas or electric engine that you push. Seen these units in the stores here and always wondered about them. Knew the contractors used them for mowing big areas and guys with big lots had them and farmers. But to see them used as a utilty tractor with trailer and before i could ask the question ....snowblower.... well you never stop learning. What else do you guys have up your sleeves??

Just an observation that many of you may not realize, there are just so, so many things that are used, manufactured , applied in North America that go towards creating the enormous economy you have, that are missing in many parts of the world.
I honestly believe to kick start your overall economic engine you guys need to look outside the box. As an immigrant to Canada, businessman and entrepreneur my mind boggles daily with what i see and learn.

Seems there is absolutely no lacking in the technology or skilled workforce department in the USA. But as long as everyone is focused on only selling within NA and NA is struggling then there is no new cash entering the system.

There is so much productivity to be created elsewhere by using much of what you guys use on a daily basis,however dont realize is not that way in much of the world. The products need to be exported to other markets targeted at the level that use them here.

Of course the target price needs to be set to the levels of affordability elsewhere, but you guys have always managed to do that through innovation and mechanization . Its a question of focus in my humble opinion.

Just take cars. Where would the world be today without old Ford. I know times have changed and labor is not as cheap as elsewhere but neither is it as skilled or experienced or in my biased opinion as innovative.

Oh i better get off the soapbox this is about a lawn mower.:rofl:

Its not just a lawn mower, Rob. It's a John Deere! :D :thumb: :rolleyes: :rofl:

I appreciate the points you made, however, another American trait with regard to possessions is the cult-like affinity that is made to certain things and brands. John Deere is one of those brands in the world of garden tractors.

My new tractor did not need to be a John Deere. Another brand would do the work I want it to do. But it tickles me that I found the John Deere. Doesn't have to make sense, you know.

How that works in the global sense I have no idea! :dunno:

well i didnt turn it over last night like i did the other day so you maybe right,, i do have aparking brake handle so maybe i do have pads like rex mentioned..never to old to learn.. i just saw the pedal take pressure of the clutch housing and assumed i had that for the brake is all but i quess that wouldnt stop it from rolling so i was wrong first time last night and more to come today:) should have looked further and saw more..:D thanks foir tellun me i was all wet:rofl::rofl:

Larry I don't think you are all wet at all.

The single pedal has a lot of disadvantages as it always engages the clutch before it applies the brake. So if you are going down hill and try to brake you basically clutch first and start freewheeling before the brake ever touches. If I was to go back to that type of unit on my place I would add a second rod and pedal or hand lever to the clutch. I have a terrible bank that is near 200 feet long, by 25-30 feet tall. I actually had a belt start slipping going up the bank so bad the unit headed back down hill and got so much speed it rolled when I tried to turn to miss a utility pole. I ended up on my back with a tractor on top of me with the blade facing the sky and still spinning at full speed.
What I was referring to as a clutch is really nothing but a belt tensioner on many units. Now some John Deere and Cub Cadet units do have a real clutch and pressure plate.

It was enough of a bad experience I spent 4500 on a used B7100 4 wheel drive Kubota and have never looked back. And I am cheap.....

Last edited: