Toy box for great-granddaughter

Dan Phalen

She's not quite 2 months old, but I got the idea to build this for when Ailyss (Irish for Alice) becomes a Big Girl some day.

tbFinishedsmall.jpg
tbLidOpen.jpg

Never built any toys before, but there's a first time for everything. I decided to paint this project because the design calls for color, even though the original was done in pine.

This time I remembered to take pictures of the important steps. It's a simple build, but tricky in some ways.

So here's the link.

Very nice Dan thanks for sharing it. Your write up is excellent. Like your spray booth idea too. Do you have a fan on the back side or is that just a board standing in there with a cut out in?

Cool idea been wondering how to deal with spraying one day.:thumb:

Thanks to all for the compliments. It was a fun project.

Rob, here's a link to the tutorial on making a spray booth out of PVC.
http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Paint-Booth-in-Your-Garage
I cut mine to five feet in width and about 6' 4" height to clear the open garage door. Cemented the horizontals so it's a knock-down.

pvc.jpg

I have a cutout and a 20" box fan with plans to use with furnace filters whenever I get back to using volatile finishes (maybe never). There's a furnace in the back corner of the garage and I don't intend to torch the place.:)

Outstanding link

Dan - Your toy box instructions are as good as it gets. Then I found all the other stuff you made. As as a newbie on this site also, that is just one of the things I was looking for. I also have to take a serious look at your paint booth thing before everything in my shed takes a new look (John Deere just doesn't look right with a blue mist). I have a question for you on your photo work...how did you get that picture of the toy box without any background...the one where it looks like its just sitting on air? Keep up the good work

How is that sprayer to clean up/out?

First of all, thanks for the kind remarks.

The Rockler HVLP sprayer is an incredible little monster. Easy to use, easy to clean. I recommend the additional cup ($6.99). The guys in the Beaverton store said it sells well and pleases everyone. I have to agree. The price is incredible because the thing WORKS. Most others start around $350 and go up fast. At $129.99 retail (sometimes discounted) this unit is plenty adequate for home woodworkers.

I painted the toy box with water-based latex, so cleanup was soapy water followed by clear water in the second cup. Actually did my final cleanup in the laundry tub, including spraying it out.

Today I'll paint a 6' stair railing with alkyd paint, mineral spirits cleanup. Let you know how that turns out. Not as user-friendly, but I need to try it.

Ken Schweim said:
how did you get that picture of the toy box without any background?
Ken, that's classified information available only to paid subscribers, but I'll tell you because you did such a nice job with your first post. :D I did it in Photoshop CS. I'm a retired web designer/software engineer, so I pretty much have my way with photo enhancement. I ran a pen path around the elephant, converted the path to a selection, copied and pasted selection to a new layer, removed the old layer, and gave the new layer a drop shadow. There you have it. I'd be lost without Photoshop.

Photoshop thingy

Dan - although I retired from my last job as a Paramedic, I retired from my first job of 26 years as a computer programming instructor. However it was all business and very little graphics. That photoshop CS thing you used, is that a freebie? I have to find a photo "enhancer" and I guess I would be willing to pay.

Dan - although I retired from my last job as a Paramedic, I retired from my first job of 26 years as a computer programming instructor. However it was all business and very little graphics. That photoshop CS thing you used, is that a freebie? I have to find a photo "enhancer" and I guess I would be willing to pay.

Ken, you'd be hard-pressed to find a freebie that does this. However. Photoshop Elements is a powerful program with most of the PS features at a decent price. Highly recommended.

I was a C++ programmer and before that, C, Pascal, Basic, Assembler, and a raft of other languages I'd rather forget going back to 1960 when it was Fortran on an IBM 704 punched card dude. Love working with my hands, as I'm sure you do.