Spalted Blue Keyaki.....

Stuart Ablett

... this and it's twin are going to be presents for my lovely wife, this is the last of the Blue Keyaki I got during my Logging in Tokyo adventure.

These blanks were cut round and then waxed up and left in the Dungeon annex for a few months before I got the dehumidifier installed in there.......... yep, they started to spalt :D

spalted_bk_salad_bowl1.jpg
I've not finished it yet, it has to have the bottom done.

spalted_bk_salad_bowl2.jpg

I did put two heavy coats of that Salad Bowl Beeswax finish on it that LV sells.

spalted_bk_salad_bowl3.jpg
This finish takes a while to dry, but is food safe and I like the look

spalted_bk_salad_bowl4.jpg
Lots going on in this piece :D

spalted_bk_salad_bowl5.jpg
Not too shabby

spalted_bk_salad_bowl6.jpg
Well I hope there were enough pics of it.......... :rolleyes: :D

Cheers!

BTW, I'm really liking the new bowl jaws I got for my Nova G3 chuck, they sure hold tight!

Anyone give a course on how to save a badly orbited bowl...........:(

While finishing this bowl, using a jab chuck method, the last bit of the tenon went "CRACK" when I was not ready for it to do so, and the bowl bounced around between the headstock and the live (POINTY BIT) center for a moment until I could stop the lathe.............BAD words were said...........:mad:

Man I just about cried.........:(

I think I can save it, one crack that I already glued, and a bunch of little divots all round the outside.......

I'm thinking of filling the divots with some espresso grounds and CA glue and then sanding........ MAN was I down, all I could to to NOT fling it across the Dungeon and then jump up and down on it several times............ :mad:

No pics, because, if there are no pics, it didn't happen........ right..........?:confused:

I sure hope I can save it, I'll be REAL bummed out if I cannot, wish me luck.......... I'm going to bed.......

Well, I had at it with the espresso grounds and some thicker CA glue, I think it turned out fairly well, all things considered.

saved.jpg

I hope the divots look like worm holes etc, but I'm not saying nothing :D

It just needs another coat of wax, and then a final buffing....

Such a nice looking piece of wood, I have one more like it to go.

Cheers!

PS thank the good Lord for sandpaper :D :eek:

Funny, when I saw Eli Avisera turn here, he was very quick to point out that sandpaper is indeed a tool that everyone uses, but he also told us that in his opinion, having more tools to reduce the amount of sandpaper you uses, is a good investment, as sandpaper is not cheap and most only get one use out of it, while the proper tool may cost more up front, you should be able to use is for a long time :D

Food for thought.

Cheers!

I think it looks great Stu, and to me it does look like worm holes. Nice job!

And I consider 80 grit as a turning tool....:D

Hey Stu, at first I was wondering how you went through all that wood from your loggin excursion but then I remembered that you slabbed most of it right? Hows that wood doing? Did you get a lot of spalting in the slabbed stuff? Any ideas for upcoming projects with that material?

BTW, I just had a question come up and I sent you a PM.

Hey Stu, at first I was wondering how you went through all that wood from your loggin excursion but then I remembered that you slabbed most of it right? Hows that wood doing? Did you get a lot of spalting in the slabbed stuff? Any ideas for upcoming projects with that material?

BTW, I just had a question come up and I sent you a PM.

Yep, most of it is on the roof, slowly drying.

last time I checked, about a month ago, it was down to near 20%, got another year to go, I guess.

I don't think I'll get any spalting in the slabs, as they were stickered and set to dry fairly quickly.

In the Dungeon annex, I have a a bunch of wood there too, slabs, and I stuck a small dehumidifier in there, runs 24/7, and that wood is down to nearly 12% :D

There is no way I'd get all the stuff from the roof into the annex, and as a matter of fact, I've got to get a bunch of the wood out of the annex, as I need the space for L shop related things......so much to do......

Oh, in two weeks, I head over to my buddy Jim's place to get a bunch of Ginko tree wood! :D

Mostly bowls, but I'll try to get some slabs as well, the wood makes GREAT cutting boards.

Cheers!

To bad you didn't put a bunch of that away to spalt, that is really striking wood when it spalts. Beautiful bowl!

Corey