Eucaliptus Wood Question

Dan, there are hundreds of eucalyptus species in Australia, and I believe we have over a dozen here in the US. I've turned a couple of the ones that grow here. Red Ironbark Eucalyptus is great stuff to turn. it does move some as it dries, so expect warping or cracking before you finish turning it, but it tools and finishes nicely.

Red Ironbark:

HF019 - 04 800.jpg Bowl 032 - 05 800.jpg

I've also turned Yellow Stringybark Eucalyptus. I hated it. It cracked and warped at the mere thought of drying. The green shavings smelled like hydrochloric acid and they stained my lathe bed instantly. It's one of the few local woods I won't even bother to load in the truck anymore. I'd show you how it looks when finished, but out of probably 10 to 12 pieces I roughed out of the stuff I had, none of them were salvageable when they were dried.

Yellow Stringybark:

98c95e63-7600-4dcb-8ad3-d08d67f0d551_300.jpg toilet.jpg

If you're not sure what type you might have access to, I'd say try turning a piece or two, then go from there.

Vaughn - thanks im not going to get any of it except some trial pc's when the guy calls - I do not want to get to much that will end up as firewood.........I have plenty of that now............;)