Yes Sharon, some projects actually do get finished.

I think Jim is right, it is still Larry. He has just been re-programmed. Living all those years with only his wife and daughters, they have managed to totally brainwash him. Probably next, we will hear he has stopped drinking barley pops and now prefers chamomile tea.

I think Jim is right, it is still Larry. He has just been re-programmed. Living all those years with only his wife and daughters, they have managed to totally brainwash him. Probably next, we will hear he has stopped drinking barley pops and now prefers chamomile tea.

Uh, no, I will not let that happen:p:D:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nice fence, I like it. Took three years to build my fence. I used similar panels with different shapes to create my one of a kind. What a labor of Love.... Emphisis on Labor in the final months... But I do Love it now. (Untill next spring when I have to paint, again...)

thanks for the posting and pictures. :thumb:

Finshed at Last!

Despite having one of the wettest Septembers in a long time, I managed to finish the fence.

I made one of the most common mistakes that woodworker make, not considering how you are going to finish your project before you assembly it. In my defense, finishing was not suppose to be my responsibility and we really had no idea how we were going to finish it.

We finally decided to finish the fence with a reddish brown semi-transparent stain as it contrasted the with green house very well.

Not only was the intricate lattice design a pain to cut and assemble, it proved an even greater pain to finish. After taking 3 hours to finish one panel with brushes, it did not take a rocket scientist to figure out it would take until next fall to finish it. The only solution was to spray it in place.

I could not see dragging my HVLP sprayer around the fence, especially considering that the fence is built on top of a fairly high retaining wall. I really wanted to use it to avoid a lot of over-spray, but I could not see it working. I remembered that I had a Wagner sprayer and managed to find it. So last Saturday morning we started. About 5 hours later, constant trips to fill the sprayer, balancing on a thin ledge while hanging on with one hand, I managed to actually get some finish on the fence, but I would have to say that a lot of it ended up on me. I had built a homemade spray paddle to keep it from shooting though the other side. I pushed those last couple of hours, knowing that if I stopped it would be very hard to start again. Also, I could not go into the house the way I was, so I just kept at it.

Ended up throwing my clothes away. I loved that old sweater! I have a large jug of citrus hand cleaner with pumice in the shop. I took that with me when I hit the showers. After two complete showers, I almost looked like new.

And for Sharon, pictures of the finished fence:

Fence Small 0001.jpg

Fence Small 0002.jpg

Fence Small 0003.jpg

Fence Small 0004.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool job Bill.:thumb: With all the rain you guys get out your way you will have just forgotten about the effort to spray it by the time it needs doing again.:rofl: I dont envy you.;)

That fence looks great Bill, and much better than when I saw it during the tour.:D

I see that you still have some cherries, pick them up before the birds take care of them.:thumb:

The fence looks awesome, Bill. :clap: Looks like you must have spent months working on it. :p

Our neighbor replaced a dozen or so boards in the cedar fence separating our driveways, and had his contractor re-stain his side of the fence. My side, which was never stained, now has a dozen or so brand-new boards intermingled with the old weathered ones. I haven't decided if I should stain or paint my side, or just wait for the new boards to weather and hope the match somewhat. It'd probably only take me an hour or less to spray it

I've made a mental note to pre-finish panels if I ever build something similar to yours, though. ;)

The fence came out great :thumb:
The wagner I have uses about a full can of paint a minute and sounds like a 747 taking off. I sprayed stain om my deck in about 30 minutes and used 4 gallons on stain :rofl::eek:

Fence looks good Bill, really like that design.

Probably a bit late and may not have worked for you anyway, but a lot of painters around here use a good quality garden sprayer to apply stain to fences. They usually get it sprayed on then hit it with a brush or roller to even it out, doesn't seem to make quite the mess and over spray that the wagner does.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. A little late, but I went to Salt Lake City and back today and did not have time to log on. Wish I had more time to enjoy it, but other projects are competing for my attention now. Someday all my chores will be done and the only thing I will have to do is sit in the backyard enjoying my coffee while I admire the fence.