Trestle Table Base

You two do great work, Jim. :clap: The table looks gorgeous. Did Neil do the carving or did he sub it out like he did the trestle?

Jim showed my wife these pictures and she loved the table top. I was bragging to her about the legs but she could not get it. You need some real close ups of the legs for them to be appreciated by someone that dont know what curly maple looks like.

That table is fantastic.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Now i bet there would be no problem getting top dollar for something like that. Going back to Larrys point of can one make a profit in woodworking.

Thats the thing, it needs to be something spectacular. :)

Wow. Very nice. Well done!

Now that I recall, you were with me, at Neil's, last Summer when we sorta kicked this project off. We were still in the 'talking stage' then.

Later last Summer, Larry was down there with me when I picked up the first of the 16/4 spalted maple to get it started.

'Twas a 'little bit here;little bit there' sorta project, which was great, what with nobody being in a hurry.

Now that's a unique and beautiful table... :thumb::thumb:

What a great team effort. Gotta love it when a plan comes together!

That was worth the wait to get finished and also the time to see pics.. that turned out very well.. is it going in the fair jim? if so it better get top honors.. well done:D:thumb::thumb:

That was worth the wait to get finished and also the time to see pics.. that turned out very well.. is it going in the fair jim? if so it better get top honors.. well done:D:thumb::thumb:

Not going to the fair. The local fair limits furniture pieces to a maximum dimension of 48 inches, so we're just a tad too big. :(

I do have a couple small pieces to display there this year, though. Maybe some pix later...

Hi Jim.

Been away for two weeks and I just found this thread thanks to Rob Keeble, otherwise I would have missed it.

That is a terrific table and the carvings are awesome, I hope to carve like that some day, that is a great and original way of incorporating carvings on a piece of furniture.

I will look at it again more thoroughly after catching up with everything :(

Just beautiful. Great details and a rugged natural look. That is truely a one of a kind and will be treasured by many through the years.

Very educational

I just went thru this thread today and was interesting enough to follow thru to the end. How do you cut mortise and tendon by hand without a jig....in really thick wood? Some else asked but I missed the answer, how did you fasten the top? Where was this table gonna be used? Just simply nice work and for me very educational

I just went thru this thread today and was interesting enough to follow thru to the end. How do you cut mortise and tendon by hand without a jig....in really thick wood? Some else asked but I missed the answer, how did you fasten the top? Where was this table gonna be used? Just simply nice work and for me very educational

Cutting the mortises is pretty time consuming. I drilled out the bulk, going in part way from ehac side, then took the rest out, squaring everything up with chisels and a mallet. I made a chisel guide to keep the mortise walls square to the surface. Each of the six big mortises took around three hours to cut. the tenon shoulders were carefully cut on the tablesaw, and the cheeks were cut 'strong' on the bandsaw, then fitted to the mortise with chisels, rasps and planes. Again, each one took a couple hours.

The smaller mortises in the cross-beam were cut by pre-drilling with a brace and bit, then finishing with chisels and rasps. The outer edge of them is tapered about 7° or so to allow a tight fit for the hand cut bloodwood tusks.

The top, when completed, will have two cross battens on the underside that will be spaced to fit snugly between the trestle piieces. That'll provide the spacing. Gravity will hold it on. It'll weigh somewhere around a hundred pounds, I'd guess. The trestles also weigh about that much, so it's a pretty sturdy affair.