A little craft Project

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, I have a friend stopping by on their way to Burning Man. I like to make little 'things' as souvenirs, or to be tossed on to the pyre...

This is my project for this year. Paduak platforms, walnut pillars, walnut cutout of 'The Man'... The tower is about 11 inches tall.

Inspiration came from page 54 of the latest Wood Magazine.

attachment.php

Attachments

• bman2010_800x600.jpg
    bman2010_800x600.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Nice photo. Sometimes maybe it's best to just make something to destroy it. Kind of makes some cosmic sense, that I'm not sure I grasp. I've seen Buddhist monks work for a solid week on a sand painting only to scramble it all together, put it in a jar and drop the sand in a pond.

Interesting project.
Creepy symbolism.
I have seen the movie.
Simply do not understand the fascination and 'celebrations'.

Yeah, Not my cup of tea for any number of reasons. Can't see going to the middle of the black rock to surround my self with thousands of other people. We went to the Black rock desert once, but that was to get away from everything. Driving on it is like driving a boat on a giant lake. There were some people we could see when we camped there. I think they must have been 10 miles away... :D

I am with Art burning walnut??? Paduak ??? that is heresy.;):thumb:

Made one out of purple heart and ebony, but that was only 6" tall...

Nice photo. Sometimes maybe it's best to just make something to destroy it. Kind of makes some cosmic sense, that I'm not sure I grasp. I've seen Buddhist monks work for a solid week on a sand painting only to scramble it all together, put it in a jar and drop the sand in a pond.

I do it just cause it's kind of fun. The person I give these to is a long time friend and co-worker. We are as different as people can be, but it's nice to have friends like that.

I have fun making these things and whatever she does with them is up to her. I hope she burns them, but I don't know. They have a camp at burning man they call 'Interaction Cafe' where they serve up 'Interactions'. I hope they put it on the bar...

I think the kids these days call them "stinking hippies". :p (Because we all know the punkers, goths, tweakers and emos all bathe more than their parents did.) :rofl:

ok vaughn we need some definations here,,,:) the first two i have seen and understand the look, but whats a tweaker and a elmo??? elmo was a fish on the movie by disney???

Tweekers = Meth freaks. Turns normal humans into zombies.

Emo = Sad little kids. Similar to goths without the emphasis on vampires. Frequently wears hair combed down and over their face to hide their shame.