Aquarium stand

Drew Watson

Well it has been a long go on this stand I needed to build for a 90 gallon aquarium that was given to us. Design as you go build while redoing the canoe. I do over build just a little when it comes to everything that I build. This is framed in 2x4 and then covered all around ( but the face) in 3/4 inch oak skinned Plywood ( I know I could have done it in a glue up of real oak but time and cost is a factor) . Oh and on that note don't get the cabinet grade oak plywood stuff that they sell at Home depot Straight from China and the laminations are sub standard Tearout is huge, just garbage. Of course I was hiding all the edges so I didn't care much. I capped all the edges in Cherrywood and built the feet out of 2x4 oak and cherry laminated together and then turned them off on the lathe. I still have pull out drawers to build and doors to make and the light box on top to do. I will be building corners for the tank out of cherry to cap the glass edge and create the illusion that the entire thing is one big inset fish tank in the frame ( as I see it in my head and how it works out may be two different things). The top light will be in a box with a lifting front lid for access to the tank. Oh and I need two people to lift this monster as it weighs quite a bit. Mesurments are 48 1/2" X 18 1/2" x 32".

Attachments

• Aquarium stand 001.JPG
    Aquarium stand 001.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 54
  • Aquarium stand 004.JPG
    Aquarium stand 004.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Aquarium stand 007.JPG
    Aquarium stand 007.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Aquarium stand 008.JPG
    Aquarium stand 008.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 35
Looks great!....should have no problem holding the weight. As for the problems you had with the ply from HD. I had a talk with the Dept Manager about the quality of those exact sheets you are talking about, and he whispered in my ear that it is a huge problem. I also told him his cherry, cedar, and pine boards, were crap as well. He knows it.

I went the extra 20 miles to find a Lowe's, and was quite happy with both the ply and flat boards they had. Since the options for lumber are thin down here, I don't have much choice. But HD will never get any more cash from me for the bad quality of wood they have.

Project looks good Drew. I like the look of the cherry and oak together...might have to consider that in one of my future projects.

I agree about the Home Depot plywood, it is crap. I've had entire sheets of it warp while stored along side some other oak ply that was from a local cabinet supply that didn't. Agree about the tear-out too, not to mention it's the thinnest veneer I've seen yet. If I've got the choice I'll go to lowes over Home Depot, the service at lowes is much better and quality seems to be so too.

Very neat Drew, agree on the HD stuff, man i hate that place now. As to the feet i think they cool, i like the bun feet look quiet a bit. Would have been nice to see them in a darker wood to make a bit more contrast but your way makes them less obvious.

Given what i saw tank stands in the store here selling for i think you must have saved yourself a pretty penny.:thumb:

What about a draw or two, or are you going put some neat storage space in the bottom for all the samll fishy stuff.?

Wish that we had a Lowes around here but I usually deal with Reimers or PJ whites ( local suppliers to the cabinet shops) But I didn't plan ahead and thought what the hey it is just one sheet and ... Looking at the laminations just opened my eyes. i usually have 8-10 laminations and this stuff only had 5 and the materials look like crap. I have bought the cheap stuff before for low end cabinet jobs when i could get the sheets for 25 bucks ( that was worth it as you do get what you pay for).

The feet were an after thought I was shooting for the squashed ball looking foot origially as I thought it would look funny with the weight and all of the tank but This just happened to catch my fancy when I was turning it.

I did look at the tank stands that they sell in the stores and they make theirs with K3 ( partical board) and that was for a 120 gallon tank. I shuddered at the thought of that idea around an aquarium. I wanted something that would last and be attractive and pleasent to look at for hrs.

the three spaces under the stand are ... One for the pump/filter, one for all the fishy stuff like food and extra filters... The center one is reserved as a display case. Maybe books or something that I turn or ...

I am also looking for some cheap knock off port holes /mirrors to hang on the doors when I get them built. Maybe some small ones for the top of the case. I might even make some up out of wood just to give it that nautical look.

Well the kids came over today and gave me a hand moving and lifting the stand and tank into place. Fit like a glove and after some fitting of hoses and a good cleaning I will get the gravel in it and fill it up tomorow. Now the doors and shelves and the top to build.

Attachments

• aquarium stand 009.JPG
    aquarium stand 009.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 30
Yea Sharon I looked at the ones that they sell and I wouldn't think about putting 90 gallons of water on one of those. Just filled it today and am conditioning the water for the transfer of fish.

Oh and the cats ( 3 cats and one shnauzer) One male cat is the outdoors wanderer that keeps the rodent and bird population in control. One is the female with siamese and likes to talk back when talked too The little princess (she rules the roost wiith all the others as they are afraid of her) and we have a male feral cat that is afraid of his own shadow and hides most of the time. ( that is him in the pic). Skipper our Shauzer, son of a national champion but has an under bite so no shows for him. He is getting old (14) and having a few "accidents" these days as I think he has forgotten how to bark.

Never took you for a "cat person", Drew :rofl::rofl::huh::dunno:

For us it started out by fishing a crying kitten out of a dumpster at a campground in So. Nevada (Hence is name is Echo after Echo's Canyon). Then my sister dropped one off on their way to retirement across the country (TJ).

They can't go outside because they would be coyote bait. We've toyed with getting some feral for pest control...but are still debating.

But they keep our yellow lab in line, so what the hay :):)

well drew at least you got in some good time doing flat work so you dont forget the feel of fulfillment from a long journey in the spinny side .. nice tank holder and it looks like its plenty stout enough:)

Looks real good Drew.:thumb: Hope you have better luck than my son did with his fish. They seemed to be like a bottomless pit with one lot eating the other. He has left us with two in the tank to deal with. One is a real character. They are cichlids trust him to get African fish.:D

Looks real good Drew.:thumb: Hope you have better luck than my son did with his fish. They seemed to be like a bottomless pit with one lot eating the other. He has left us with two in the tank to deal with. One is a real character. They are cichlids trust him to get African fish.:D

Oh God I had 4 of those years ago they were cute and only 1/2 inch in diameter when I bought then and I was told they were a community fish then they grew to an enormous size and ate everything in the tank. They are not a community fish at all out side of their own community. Of course they left the plecostomus alone and I had to get rid of him when he reached 6 inches ( they grow to 3 ft).

I now deal only with one store that is locally owned and operated and they know fish better than anyone I know and will not sell a fish that has not gone through a few weeks of quarantine. They take the time to medicate thenm and treat for ick with all new shipments that they recieve and if any die in the first few weeks they will be replaced free. Don't get me going on the big chain pet stores where dead fish are floating around in tanks and staff don't know any more than how to clean tanks and stock shelves.

Never took you for a "cat person", Drew :rofl::rofl::huh::dunno:

For us it started out by fishing a crying kitten out of a dumpster at a campground in So. Nevada (Hence is name is Echo after Echo's Canyon). Then my sister dropped one off on their way to retirement across the country (TJ).

They can't go outside because they would be coyote bait. We've toyed with getting some feral for pest control...but are still debating.

But they keep our yellow lab in line, so what the hay :):)

In a room full of people the cats always seem to come to me for some reason.:dunno: I actually like all animals, but cats are my favorite.

well drew at least you got in some good time doing flat work so you dont forget the feel of fulfillment from a long journey in the spinny side .. nice tank holder and it looks like its plenty stout enough:)

Yea Larry I have been doing lots of flat work these days as the lathe is out of reach due to a canoe being in the way. I was able to get the feet turned for the fish tank but that has been a rare occassion these past few months though I did help a neighbor out and brought down a cherry tree and scored the wood. The wife has her honey do list that needs to be addressed and i still have a side board to build for the dinning room. I have a slab of white marble salvaged from a 1914 wash stand that will be used in it. Just have to design something that will go with the china cabinet that I built a few years back.

Well the stand is working out great and the water is clearing up nice. I will be working on the top lid this weekend and the corner caps. I have to figure out just how I want the lid to open so that I can get full access to the tank without too much hassle. Flip out doors will not give enough room so I have to make the entire front hinge up and back to allow me to get my entire arm into the tank ( it is that deep). Thinking piano hing but am concerned with the moisture issue. I was also thinking of using an old inner tube as a hinge stapled to the top of the joint as it will allow movment without having to deal much with the moisture or just regular exterior door hinges, but they may be way too over kill for the job. The entire thing will be of the same materials as the base. Ply box with cherry caping the edges. Any other suggestions out there?

I will also be having to drill holes in the top of the case to allow moist warm air out as I will have the light suspended from the lid.

... I have been doing lots of flat work these days as the lathe is out of reach due to a canoe being in the way. ..

Ya know... A lathe might just make a good canoe rack. Put a board across the top of the head and tail stocks, then turn the canoe upside down over it. Sounds like a great storage solution, and a good use for that lathe! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Jim you got a sense of humor there.:thumb:

Drew if you need a top to fold out of the way and want to keep it narrow how about you slice it up and use a few sets of barrel hinges to fold the sections onto each other concertina style. It will allow it to fold up in sections as wide as you make em. The barrel hinges are all brass and wont rust from moisture. They fold back 180 degrees so you can fold a section back onto itself and so on with each section.

Funny Jim, :rofl: You do know I am personal friends with the turning gods and they are watching you now. :rofl::rofl:

Here is a pic from today with the fish in the tank and it set up. The water just cleared up today (still a little more to go).

Attachments

• fish tank , pond 002.JPG
    fish tank , pond 002.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 10