Auction 8-28

well I selected the right auction to attend.

Picked up this scrapper and 2 braces for $5

DSCN0157.jpg

Stanley block plane, #17 I think, width is 2". $5 it does have the wrong blade in it. It has a narrow Millers Falls blade.

DSCN0155.jpg

"Another" 6-C #20 type 16 from what I can tell real quick, $20. This could also be a put together plane as some of the stuff doesn't add up.

DSCN0154.jpg

Disston type 12(?) great shape, thinking 1896-1917 era, $10

DSCN0152.jpg

What's "put-together" on the #6? It all looks pretty much authentic to me - except maybe for a blade change.

As for a blade change, almost any time a workman or shop had more than one plane of a size, the blades would get interchanged. When 'sharpening day' came, apprentices would sharpen everything in sight, and perhaps the blade from a 4½ would end up in a 6, or a 7. Next time out, the'd end up in yet different planes. After a few sharpenings, nobody ever remembered what iron went where, as long as they all fit, and worked.

Actually, that happens in my own shop. I often sharpen several plane irons at once - most commonly the #4/#5 size (2" wide. I have at least a dozen planes in this size.) - and they may or may not go back exactly where they came from.

Great haul there Steve. :thumb: I like the Disston saw. That looks as though it will clean up well.

Jim thanks for the interesting story re the blades. I have often wondered about that.:thumb:

So Steve i am curious when you gonna stop buying? You surely got plenty of users by now. :dunno:

Steve,

Algebra is most important for you right now...

If you can keep up with the practice work, homework, lectures then when it is over you will say "That was not too bad" or at least that was what I hoped my students would say (from CFCC).

So Steve i am curious when you gonna stop buying? You surely got plenty of users by now. :dunno:

Rob Rob Rob, don't cha know he's addicted. He'll never get enough, one leads to another and another. Right now he can get buy with a fix on the weekends but pretty soon he'll be needing a fix mid week and eventually,... well it aint a pretty sight.

Steve repeat after me, "My name is Steve and I'm a hand tool addict"

Paul, thanks for the site. It appears to be coming back to me. Been several years, so it could take a while.

Rob, I will stop when it costs too much to play the auction game. As long as this stuff keeps going for this price, I will buy. It's not really bankruptcy figures, I am dealing with. Plus, if I ever need to sale them, the return would have to be better than the stock market. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Stu, if I ever come across a #7, I will let you know.