Turned pendants

I'm on the list for the Pendant Mandrel pass around from Jonathan. I've never made pendants before so I thought I'd give it a try without the mandrel first to see if it's any easier with the mandrel. The wood is walnut and ambrosia maple. They weren't that bad to make and my wife and daughter scarfed up their favorites. My daughter is wanting a set of earrings to match.

Attachments

• madillion fix 1 (Medium).jpg
    madillion fix 1 (Medium).jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 78
Nice work John :thumb: My wife, who is a beaded jewelery maker, gave me a suggestion. Making the hole bigger allows for bigger and/or more strands to be attached. Some of mine have a 3/4" whole.
What finish did you use...it really brings out the color in the maple.

They all look great, John. :thumb: Having done a few on the offset backer plate, I can see it'd pretty easy to do one-offs with just a faceplate or waste block and some tape. I think one of the big advantages to the offset plate is the repeatability you can get. That's one aspect the plate makes a whole lot easier to do.

Thanks for the comments.

Nice work John :thumb: My wife, who is a beaded jewelery maker, gave me a suggestion. Making the hole bigger allows for bigger and/or more strands to be attached. Some of mine have a 3/4" whole.
What finish did you use...it really brings out the color in the maple.

Jim, I sanded them to 220 and the finish is 3 coats of rattle can lacquer.

I think one of the big advantages to the offset plate is the repeatability you can get. That's one aspect the plate makes a whole lot easier to do.

Vaughn, I used a waste block with tape. Since I've turned a few I could see how repeatability would be an advantage of the plate.