Firelfy is finished!

Jeff Horton

She goes to her new owner tonight for his first paddle in it. I slipped off and gave her a quick sea trial this morning just to make sure there were not surprises. I REALLY like this boat. I am afraid if I paddle it much I wouldn't want to give it to him.

firefly-1.jpg

firefly-2.jpg

firefly-3.jpg

firefly-4.jpg

That red really pops on that boat. :thumb:

I really like the fancy hook on the front. That really makes it unique looking and adds a ton of character. :thumb: Is it functional? I.e. does it help with the performance in any way, or is it purely decorative?

Looks awesome!

It is called a bifurcated or bifid bow. Goes back at least as far as the 1600's when the Russians "discovered" the Aleut Indians. Of course the Indians didn't now they were lost. :rolleyes: There is a lot of debate about how it came about and just how useful it is. Here is one thing I 'borrowed' on the bows.

These craft were also noteworthy for their bifid, or bifurcated bow, which is useful both to extend the length of the craft (thus making it faster for a given human horsepower) and to provide just enough built-in flotation to help the bow rise to the seas. Although the bifid bow was not unique to the Aleuts, they did develop their own specialized design suited to the waters in which they lived and hunted

I have always been fascinated with these boats and finally had a chance to design a modern version better suited to today's paddled and then build it.

PS It is 18' 3" long and 22 or 23" wide. I have forgotten which. It's a long sucker but it really is quick with a strong paddler in it.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Here are some photos I took tonight with Coy and his new boat. He loved it and frankly he gave us a workout too. He has been paddling this big slow sit on tops and didn't realize just how strong he was. Tonight he was giving us all a workout!

Coy and his boat.

Outstanding !

That's one fine looking craft Jeff. Excellent job as always.:thumb: I'll bet she really moves through the water. I'd love to give her a try. Any idea how much it weighs ? Coy looks to be enjoying himself.

What's next ?:D

I have got to buy some new scales. Mine have a life-time warranty only the company doesn't answer your request of a number to return them!!

Guesses on weight run around 35-40 lbs. I am sticking with 37-38 lbs. The multi-chined boats and with painted finish are the heaviest ones. The extra wood and paint add 3-4 lbs easy.

Whats next is a good question. I have been looking at this boat. But I just not sure.

shad-linesplan.jpg

I have a lot of ideas floating around but nothing just says build me! So for the moment I need to work on the website and reskin one of my boats. Maybe someone will come along want to pay me to do something for them. :)

Looks awesome! Jeff. Congratulations! The biffid bow reminded me inmediately those viking ships. If it portuded higher you could put a dragon head on it:D