Broken screw in Hickory

I have a broken screw (5/8" long, used on a hinge) in Hickory. Read the reviews on Rockler and Woodcraft for their extractor. Looks to me like the extractor might work on soft woods okay, but Hickory? Any suggestions?

Thanks, DKT

If you mean this I have used it in ash and QSWO no problem.
124210_230.jpg

Can't help with getting this one out more than what Glenn has expressed, but for the future, I have read to use a steel screw in the hinge holes first then when the piece is completed put the brass screws in as the last item. Brass screws are soft and the heads will twist off when trying to create the threads in the piece of wood whatever it may be.

Can't help with getting this one out more than what Glenn has expressed, but for the future, I have read to use a steel screw in the hinge holes first then when the piece is completed put the brass screws in as the last item. Brass screws are soft and the heads will twist off when trying to create the threads in the piece of wood whatever it may be.

Nice tip Bill. :thumb::thumb:

I have that extractor and it worked just fine in hardwoods for me.

Correct, quarter sawn white oak, sorry for the alphabet-soup-talk ;-) I ran mine with a cordless reversible drill and didn't really pay much attention to speed. I didn't go at it full bore as I was working on an already finished piece except for the hinges . . . which is where I broke the screw. The tool cuts smooth and quick . . . it did just what it was supposed to which can sometimes catch us by surprise, eh?

Bill's tip is a good one, I picked up some steel screws from McFeely in the size I normally stock brass in. I always pre-run a steel screw now and haven't broken off a screw since.

also another vote for steel screws and learned the same way you just have.. also you can try to drill out the screw, insert glue and tooth picks and then rescrew if the drill bit is to big of a hole for you.. and another thing to get is the vix bit sets for predrilling there worth there weight in gold in my opinion..

also another vote for steel screws and learned the same way you just have.. also you can try to drill out the screw, insert glue and tooth picks and then rescrew if the drill bit is to big of a hole for you.. and another thing to get is the vix bit sets for predrilling there worth there weight in gold in my opinion..

I agree. I've used a set for years and they have saved me from the frustration of having the screw holes misaligned.