DC Mod to Add Planer

glenn bradley

Some side by side testing with my G0453Z hooked to my task-specific bagger and the 2HP cyclone made it pretty obvious that to assure myself of not pressing uncaptured chips back into my newly planed surface, I had to use the cyclone.

The ASTM-2729 makes mods like this really easy. The un-easy part is that the Horizon warehouse near me closed so I had to order fittings online. Luckily I bought extra pipe and stashed it over the rafters for just such an occasion.

The previous 6x6x4 wyes that fed my lower tablesaw and lower router table.

DC-Mod-Planer 002.jpg

I've never been a big proponent of "grounding" plastic duct but, I must admit that this $10 fix cured all static cling. I put wire nuts at spots where I though I might need to take things apart so that worked out.

DC-Mod-Planer 003.jpg

I added a 6x6x6 wye that will feed a 6" main between the tablesaw/router table and the outfeed. I'll wye out at 4" to the lower collection point on the RT and then go on to a blastgate that will serve the planer. I'll post more pics once the fittings show up and I finish this up.

DC-Mod-Planer 004.jpg

Unrelated but, while I was back there in no-man's-land I converted the larger bandsaw to a single 4" that splits off a 2-1/2" at the table. I had sealed the lower port off with a piece of sheet magnet last Christmas. With all the work I have done since then, the blade port and under-the-table port only let a couple teaspoons of stuff into the lower cabinet. I removed the hose and the 4" tap and just capped the main.

DC-Mod-Planer 001.jpg

Last edited:
UPS was good enough to drop off my 6" fittings yesterday so I took after the planer mod again. My eventual decision worked out with a 6" main extending between the tablesaw and outfeed. I milled some scrap fir and made some brackets to position the pipe where I wanted it:

a-DC-Mod-Planer.jpgb-DC-Mod-Planer.jpgc-DC-Mod-Planer.jpg

I ended up with a 6" to 4" reducer to the blast gate. We all know sizes vary on many components we use for DC. Here's a fix from PVC to DC that I have used before. Cut off about 1-1/2" of that white-outside-black-inside stuff from the BORG.

d-DC-Mod-Planer.jpg

Cut about 1/8" out of it to reduce the diameter a bit:

e-DC-Mod-Planer.jpg

Now it fits in a 4" PVC fitting:

f-DC-Mod-Planer.jpg

And the blast gate fits inside it:

g-DC-Mod-Planer.jpg

The area to the right of my tablesaw is a no-man's-land of power and DC, jigs and what-not. The Sander wedges in there under a light:

h-DC-Mod-Planer.jpg

And I end up with a gated stub that I can put a quick-coupled hose onto for the planer and whatever else:

i-DC-Mod-Planer.jpg

Isn't it about time to stop fooling around and make something?