Did we bail out Chrysler?

Jim Mattheiss

I just read Franks post about Mazda and thought I'd share my Chrysler drama.

My wife bought a CPO (Certified pre-owned) Chrysler Town and Country van last summer for a local Chrysler dealer. She went with the Extended Service Warranty through the dealer - don't normally do this but it being a used american made car seemed like a good idea..

#1 - We pick the car up and the radio reception STINKS. She brings it back - no radio antenna = they install one and voila - radio reception.

#2 - 3 days later I notice an oil stain on the garage floor where she parks. Back to the dealer for some seals. They wanted to charge her for the oil change though. She fought them off on that. They also fix a broken power door lock on the passenger sliding door and an un-performed recall.

#3 - A couple of weeks later she has a slow leak in one of her tires. She brings it to the local garage to plug the leak. The guy says that her tires are dry-rotten and need to be replaced. Back to the dealer. They replace the dry-rotten tires. At this point she talks to the sales manager and HE'S MAD. He says he paid good money to Certify that car and all these problems are coming up. WE should have given it back and moved on right then and there. BIG MISTAKE.

#4 - She has the brakes done at the dealer and afterwards there is a shuddering in the pedal when you press lightly on the brakes at highway speeds. The next service she mentions this to the service guy and they diagnose that the front rotor are warped and can't be recut. They apparantly didn't check when they did the brakes. They ate that one.

#5 - One day I notice her oil is low. I change the oil and check a few weeks later - low again. It's not leaking on the ground and it's not obviously smoking. She mentions it to the dealer and they state that it will lose a QT of oil every 700 to 1,000 miles and that's standard for that engine/model - withing MFG specs. That's insane - that's 5 qts every oil change interval of 5,000 miles (more or less).

The shame of it - it's a nice van. It's fast, quiet at highway speeds and handles well - for a minivan. If you tromp it at a stop light it will squeal the tires. Almost a Tim Taylor minivan -arghh argh arghh . . . .

We pay of my car in a few months - we have the money and should just pay it off. It the van gives us any more issues it's getting traded in on something else (at a loss) and we'll move on.

I just thought I'd vent. I'm not getting my moneys worth as a part owner of Chrysler . . .

Cheers

Jim

Jim i share your pain. I have two Chrysler vehicles. A Dodge mini van ( sort of the Canadian town and country only stripped of any
"town" element).
I think the value engineering guys really got carried away on this one. I figure they worked out the bare minimum amount of break disc and brake pad that they can legally get away with for my vehicle. I aint ever seen a vehicle go through so many discs and pads. I now do them myself and just accept it and buy tai chi rotors and some so called lifetime guaranteed pads. I dont even bother with the guarantee part.:rofl: We are going to drive this one into its grave. Its all paid for. It has drums at the rear and disc up front but i dont think the drums even play a role in stopping it.

Been through three of those fan control units. I can now change them in under 5 minutes. Even my wife knows how to diagnose this cars faults.

Was no surprise to me why the Toyota boys took so much market share away from them.

As for my "Jeep" well i wanted a truck and best say no more on that matter. Would have been real real happy with a F150 kitted out with the cowboy look. I cant remeber the style name they called it. Could have done with the bed at the back. But SWMBO decided it would not be good for my line of work.:(

You lucky you got a dealer that is fixing yours.

GM's oil consumption threshold is 1 qt per 2,000 miles. Ford's is (was?) 1 at per 900 miles. Ask for Chrysler's oil consumption threshold in writing from their bulletin. Not what the dealer says. If the vehicle is withing the power train warranty, it should be covered under that. If not, the extended warranty should cover it.
Engines will use some oil. That is normal. A qt per 1,000 miles is a little excessive to me. Jim.

We just love our Toyota Voxy, it is a mini van you guys don't get over there, it is great on the highway, gets good gas mileage and had been absolutely flawless. Don't think I'll be getting rid of it any time soon, we bought it new in 2002, and it is just wonderful.

My dad really likes his Dodge Caravans, he is on his third one, he buys them when they are 3 or 4 years old, he does not care if they have a ding or dent or two, so he gets them at very good prices. Only problem I can remember him having was with the first one, the plastic headlight lens would fog over after a while, reducing the brightness of the headlights, but he found some kind of plastic cut polish stuff and it would make them crystal clean again in no time, had to do that maybe twice a year :dunno:

We all spend a lot of money on cars and such, I wish we would get what we pay for. If I was back in Canada, I think I'd search out a decent used late sixties Chevy half ton, with a straight six, three in the tree, I know a buddy who has a 67, and it just keeps on trucking.

Heck, Tod here on Family Woodworking has a good old van, IIRC and that too just keeps on going.

We just love our Toyota Voxy, it is a mini van you guys don't get over there,

Stu that reminds me... somewhere this summer I saw a micro van that was either a twin, or very similar to, your previous work van. Complete with right-hand drive. We were driving, so a photo was out of the question, but it sure was a cute little thing.

I remember seeing a website of a company that imports vehicles like this from japan (used end-of-lease in japan) but this is the first time I'd seen something like that in the flesh.

...art

I have a '99 Grand Caravan that uses about a qt. of oil every 1000 miles. It also has 265,000 miles on it and still gets 24 mpg. :thumb: Gonna run it 'til it drops, unless I drop first.:rofl::rofl:

It really is too bad that the laws there do not easily allow these kinds of vehicles, I know that they are not for everyone, and in fact having one as your "only" vehicle would be difficult, but for some things they really do well.

On a farm the 4WD little pickup trucks with the dumping back would be nothing but useful, IMHO.

Like this....

suzuki_mini_truck_dumpbed1.jpeg

They are asking $6700 US for this one, it has all the bells and whistles and a real dump bed, most just have the ability to dump the back, but this one is really a mini dump truck. I think they are only allowed for offroad use, but on a farm etc, they could be really handy.

i have a family member that works at Chrysler and i am needing a replacement vehicle in the near future but i wont buy one even with the discount availble.. had my fill as well on them..and the cash for klunker idea has made it tough to get a good beater any more. another idea i disagreed with but they done it.

I don't know if they're still designed this way, but a few years back I bought an older Chrysler model sedan.. don't remember the model name.. from my brother in law who was a "used" car dealer... put a strong emphasis on the "used"... that turned out to be a mistake, but another story.... my wife had a New Yorker when we married and I liked the car.. great car to drive... anyway the commuter I bought from BIL used oil at an unusual rate... wasn't burning it and wasn't leaking in the driveway.... I took it back for his repair shop to fix - paid to have it fixed - same problem - took it back - paid again to have something "fixed" - same problem..... finally talked to another dealer about the problem... he said the drive shaft goes through the oil pan, and had plugs in it that would let oil go into the drive shaft...makes no sense to me, don't even know if it's true, but I finally took the car back to BIL and asked for another model and brand of car.... they supposedly "fixed" the Chrysler, resold it to another guy who loved it... no problems etc.....