drum sander

allen levine

when I redo my shop over the winter, I want to upgrade my TS to the sawstop, and I want to make room for a drum sander, a table top version, that I can put on a mobile base.
since the average table top Id build runs 42-44 inches wide, and then smaller for smaller tables, Id like to get a 22 inch open drum sander.
does anyone own one of these, which brand is most reliable, best bang for the buck?
I have one 220 line now, and can go up to 20 amps draw on the 220 line.
Id prefer one that has belts that are easily obtainable, not only one place, and Id like the dust collection to be somewhat controllable with my delta dust collector.(a 4 inch port would be nice)

Performax 22-44

Had one for years. Very reliable machine. Belts available multiple places. Mine had the 2-1/2 dust port, but I believe the newer ones are 4". It was a 110V machine and grossly underpowered sanding at full width. Slow and very light passes. However, even at 220V, you will be taking light passes. This is a sander, not a planer.

I foolishly sold mine when I moved to Arizona 6 years ago. Finally found another smaller closed end Performax at a price I could live with and replaced it. I found I rarely needed the wider sanding capability, so that was a non issue for me. Mine does have the 4" dust port.

They are pricey but worth every dime in my book. I was patient and found one on Craigslist for a third of new price.

Allen,
I have a friend who runs a commercial cabinet shop and he's been running a Performex 22/44. He has recently up graded to a larger one but said that 22/44 served him well, maybe he said it cause he's gonna sell it to me.... $400 ain't a bad price I'd say.

Allen. I have been researching this very same issue for a while. And I came up with 2 home-made designs made with very common parts. I hope to get started on the fabrication in about 3 weeks. all of the blogs seem to say it works pretty well. cost about $200, versus a pretty big amount should you buy one.

The one change in the design is to incorporate an old 60 RPM garage door opener motor to operate a treadmill to carry the stock through. Also, the width of the sanding area can be fabricated to whatever you want. 10,12,20,36 inch...no sweat.

Just figured I would throw this out there for anyone interested. But before I recommend it, I will let everyone know how the design works.

http://www.woodworkstuff.net/EDTSander.html

IM waiting patiently, since I know I cant build one, but after xmas season sales slow down, and Im sure this year sales will really slow down in the woodworking machine business.
Maybe Ill catch a clear out old inventory sale and get my hands on one at a decent price, or find a used one I can live with.
I dont think I can wait that long to get the sawstop, my wife is on my case, sees me working on that table saw constantly, wants the old one out and the sawstop in.
I figure next month or so Ill break down for the sawstop, but Im always watching for the drum sander on craiglist.

I appreciate the offer, but its a comfort thing for me.
When it comes to machinery, IM lost, totally lost.
when used equipment runs more than 1/2 price on something expensive, I opt for the new piece so I can have the company take care of anything if there is a problem.
Thanks for the offer.

I believe the sale price is under 1200 for the model I want during the week of the 24th.
If I order it through my tool guy, he gets it in on regular shipment, I dont pay for shipping.

I called my tool guy to find out where my stuff was, and he told me I told him Im not in a rush(which I absolutely did), but he said another 10 days or so and I should be taking delivery. I just needed to see the size up close of the sander so I can build my final rolling stand.

Which one did you get Allen?

Here, hang on a sec, I need to channel my inner Don...

<Ahem>

<Don Baer Mode>
No Pics, Didn't Happen
</Don Baer Mode>
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: