These are better

Jim Burr

All pen turners have seen the "elliptical effect" from a mandrel used one to many times:(:(. I took a ride on the wide side and picked up a M2 center and some "Between-the-center" bushings from JohnnyCNC. I couldn't be happier:D:D It took about an hour to get used to the set up and being habitually absent-minded :eek: but this stuff makes all the difference :thumb:
Amboyna burl and Spalted Maple from Thoits & Thoits of Beverly Hills :rofl:
Both have CAx3 finish with Ren Wax for fun.
Lemme know what you think!!

Attachments

• Amboyna1.jpg
    Amboyna1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Amboyna2.jpg
    Amboyna2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Maple1.jpg
    Maple1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Maple2.jpg
    Maple2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 35
Those look good Jim. (Adjustment to color balance of photos will help though).
I'm still making pens on a mini lathe with a MT1 but have been thinking of switching set ups to make them on the big lathe with MT2 and Johnny CNC bushings.

Tom

I got a mandrel saver. Going to give that a try with my regular old bushings to see how that works....

But anythings better than a bent mandrel!

MY PIX SUK:(:(...my daughter is working on that with me...I jacked her camera so I'm old school (I love my Pentax K2) but I'll work on that tomorrow and try a re-post. Thanks guys!!!:D:D

hope you don't mind Jim, but I just had to drag those through photoshop for you. gorgeous pens!

Attachments

• Amboyna2 copy.jpg
    Amboyna2 copy.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Maple1 copy.jpg
    Maple1 copy.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Maple2 copy.jpg
    Maple2 copy.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Amboyna1 copy.jpg
    Amboyna1 copy.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 14
MY PIX SUK:(:(...my daughter is working on that with me...I jacked her camera so I'm old school (I love my Pentax K2) but I'll work on that tomorrow and try a re-post. Thanks guys!!!:D:D

Jim, as a suggestion, you might try experimenting with the different White Balance settings on the camera. You'll probably find one that gives you a fairly accurate white background with whatever lighting you're using. When you do, the colors in the photo subject (the pen, in this case) should end up being more accurate, too.

#1: Those are delicious. Well done. :thumb: Yes, quality notably and dramatically improves when to get rid of the mandrel.

#2: Johnny CNC is a fine person and makes some very high quality speciality items for the penturner. I don't want to put him out of business.
However, I do not see a need for specialized bushings when doing 'no mandrel' penturning. Just stick regular bushings in the tube, slap 'em on the lathe with a dead center at the head for drive and a live center on the tail.
Turn. Enjoy.

All pen turners have seen the "elliptical effect" from a mandrel used one to many times:(:(.
Hi Jim; The elliptical effect that you speak of, while I've never experienced it,:rolleyes: can also come from stamped bushings that are not perfectly round or the hole through them is not perfectly centred.

All the more reason to use johnnycnc's mandreless bushings. They are turned on a cnc metal lathe, therefore guaranteed to be perfectly round, as well as the dimple is perfectly centred. This assures a perfectly round pen, at least as perfectly round as a small piece of pen blank can be made.

That's what I'm finding with these new bushings Les. I did a Jr Gent non-postable that was beautiful!!! Except the end cap butt point was ellipse'd. That really blew it for me. No one but us could tell, and it's hard to trash a $100+ pen. These posted yesterday match exactly and make a huge difference in my feeling for the pen.
Frank-some of those that JohnnyCNC doesn't make bushings for, I'll be using your suggestion for and posting the results.

Hi Jim; The elliptical effect that you speak of, while I've never experienced it,:rolleyes: can also come from stamped bushings that are not perfectly round or the hole through them is not perfectly centred.

All the more reason to use johnnycnc's mandreless bushings. They are turned on a cnc metal lathe, therefore guaranteed to be perfectly round, as well as the dimple is perfectly centred. This assures a perfectly round pen, at least as perfectly round as a small piece of pen blank can be made.

Mac, I know you are a very accomplished penturner and the very brightest of the pen stars shine on you.
But, to never get an elliptical/oval pen is pretty.......uh.....politely ;) ....uh.......singular.
When I made pens using the standard mandrel method, slightly oval ends were common. Particularly noticeable at the nib end. Very tiny, only observable by someone looking for it and using your fingernail to locate.
Now, I use a mandrel only for 7mm pens and for those I shorten the adjustable (so-called 'professional') mandrel and do only one half of the blank at a time. This has eliminated the ellip. for me. Larger pens I use the 'no mandrel' technique only and only do one half blank at a time.

Mac, I know you are a very accomplished penturner and the very brightest of the pen stars shine on you.
Hi Frank; Let us not get carried away now!
But, to never get an elliptical/oval pen
It's apparent you missed my :rolleyes: sarcasm when I made it.

Now, I use a mandrel only for 7mm pens
johnnycnc makes 7 mm bushings that do not require a mandrel.
Larger pens I use the 'no mandrel' technique only and only do one half blank at a time.
That's the way I turn my pens as well. The only difference between your technique and mine is the use of what type of bushings we use, if any in fact. I'm a proponent of johnny's bushings, you aren't. To each his own is my motto. If it works for you and you are happy with the results, stick with it!:)