finished shaker oval boxes

Here's a couple shots of the finished shaker boxes. The first one is of the walnut with a bookmatched curly maple top and bottom. The finish is lacquer. The second is the walnut with the two cherry boxes. The tops and bottoms are qs sycamore. The finish is oil. I'll add a few more coats to the cherry.

Attachments

• shaker box finished update (Medium).jpg
    shaker box finished update (Medium).jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 50
  • shaker box finished 003 update (Medium).jpg
    shaker box finished 003 update (Medium).jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 50
Has anyone said "Nice" yet? I go for Nice work, Although shaker boxes are usually Cherry, I love the Walnut/Maple combination. :thumb::thumb: Double thumbs up Thanks for sharing.

New to me

I had to do a search on "Shaker box" to see exactly what it was. I found a very complete step by step on Ron Hazletines site. The ones completed here appear to be a couple of notches above that video. I'm assuming the circular flat pieces are covers for the boxes. It appears that there is a tiny lip made around the edge to hold it in place. This whole project appears to be very delicate work and very well done. Did you purchase the wood or do you have some method to make the wood that thin? I'm assuming there are special tacks that are made to look like rivets when flattened on both sides. Obviously this type of project is very new to me but really looks interesting. Very nice work!

Great stuff John. The wood combinations are a cool variation on the standard. Where'd you get the copper nails/rivets?

I had to do a search on "Shaker box" to see exactly what it was. I found a very complete step by step on Ron Hazletines site. The ones completed here appear to be a couple of notches above that video. I'm assuming the circular flat pieces are covers for the boxes. It appears that there is a tiny lip made around the edge to hold it in place. This whole project appears to be very delicate work and very well done. Did you purchase the wood or do you have some method to make the wood that thin? I'm assuming there are special tacks that are made to look like rivets when flattened on both sides. Obviously this type of project is very new to me but really looks interesting. Very nice work!

Thanks for the nice comments. I have several mistakes most are fitting the top/bottom to the band. The joy of bad photography and strategic placement of boxes.:D

I got the supplies/materials for the cherry from John Wilson. He is the Shaker Box Man. He sales everything you could ever need to make shaker boxes.
I planed the walnut down from some 1/8 inch pieces I had. I've had the maple laying around for a couple of years waiting for something to use it on.

Great stuff John. The wood combinations are a cool variation on the standard. Where'd you get the copper nails/rivets?

Glen,

I got the tacks and other supplies from John Wilson. http://www.shakerovalbox.com/