How much should Crown molding cost installed ?

Bartee Lamar

A friend came to me and asked how much he should expect to pay to have crown molding put in 5 rooms. A total of 400 linear feet.

He has one quote for $2000 including materials, labor and painting.

Another quote of $800 without materials.

This is in an occupied house, in the Atlanta GA metro area.

Bartee,

What type of crown, is it just a single piece of moulding or a build up? It will also vary on the type of material, how many cuts are involved, what does the installer have to move or work around, etc...

If the rooms are rectangular (4 miters) and I didn't have to move much and it is not a buildup, I would probably ask between $1000~1250. I think those numbers would very drastically depending on who is doing the install and where the work is being done. I have no idea what the rates would be in Atlanta.

bartee, the pita factor of working in an occupied home is the biggest catch here.....that and the clients attitude....a poor attitude gets bumped 1500 or so before things get started, then there`s a signed contract spelling out what is the installers responsibilities......if it`s not written into the contract it`s an up-charge/change notice......working for homeowners can be a real mine field some are good as gold where others are millstones......figure at least double the cost of new construction just `cause they`re living there....tod

Bartee,

What type of crown, is it just a single piece of moulding or a build up? It will also vary on the type of material (is it oak,ash, pine, paint grade), (and size of the crown itself)how many cuts are involved, what does the installer have to move or work around, And how high are the ceilings, etc...

If the rooms are rectangular (4 miters) and I didn't have to move much and it is not a buildup, (and there is no change of elevation from flat )I would probably ask between $1000~1250. I think those numbers would very drastically depending on who is doing the install and where the work is being done. I have no idea what the rates would be in Atlanta.
Hi Ed, you offer very good insight!:thumb:

bartee, the pita factor of working in an occupied home is the biggest catch here (Agree, big time).....that and the clients attitude....a poor attitude gets bumped 1500 or so before things get started (the best time to bump the price, you can always give it back!:huh: ), then there`s a signed contract spelling out what is the installers responsibilities......if it`s not written into the contract it`s an up-charge/change notice......working for homeowners can be a real mine field some are good as gold where others are millstones......figure at least double the cost of new construction just `cause they`re living there....tod
Hi Tod, You have been there, sadly. Hope good day today to you !!! S

Hi Bartee, :wave:
There are so many variables as both Ed and Tod mention. With 400' in 5 rooms that is an average of 80' per room, and they aren't all 20' squares( consider the number of splices needed as they take time to get them right), plus the putty and fill and sanding( how big of an issue is the dust), then the primer and what kind of paint, oil or latex, all off a ladder, or are you 7' tall?:rolleyes: Dry time. Roll up each day and roll out the next, drop cloth, ladders moving furniture, and pets, who cleans the paint off the pets?:rofl: Plus the cost of your shop for that time away and the electric and the insurance on your truck. Plus your health insurance for the day and?????Plus profit to buy new stuff for the business..
We might make money with " paint free pets.com:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Good luck,
Shaz :)

Last edited: