Cork flooring in kitchens and bathrooms

Ron Jones

LOML has found cork flooring at Lowe's that she thinks would do well in a hall, kitchen and bathroom. Naturally Lowe's endorses the flooring for these uses but I though I should check here. It is in pieces that go together much like a laminate--each piece is about 11.8 inches wide and .4 inch thick. It comes with a 25 year abrasion resistance finish guarantee.

I like the green theme, but have questions about its ability to hold up to things like kitchen chairs (used 3 times daily) and its resistance to the wear of 3 dogs that often play in the house. I also like the water resistance--stands and not penetrates.

Any comments or experiences with this type flooring appreciated.

Perhaps there are different grades of it. They've got it on the floor of our gym at my work, seems to hold up to the machines that are moved around on it. It does change color over time as they've moved some of the equipment and you can see where it once sat. Not sure about the moisture resistance though.

My sister and brother-in-law installed cork flooring in their living room and den, and have been real happy with it. That said, neither room is a high traffic area, so it's not getting the use and abuse a kitchen floor would. So in other words, I'm not much help. :rolleyes:

I would say no, from personal experience. I laid some cork floor that I purchased at Menards. It looked good, but as far as moisture resistance it left some to be desired.

I like the look but it needed a some kind of protection from gouges, and more resistance to moisture.

It has a couple years of age on it, and there are some areas where its had some moisture and its starting to pucker and curl. It also has some gouge marks in it from everyday traffic in home. I would rate this at about a 6 out of 10. I would definitely recommend it in a lower traffic area.

Dusty

Last edited:
We have cork flooring in the room right outside our bath room (our bath rooms in Japan have a bathtub and shower area, no toilet, that is in the toilet room) this area is also where the typical bathroom sink/vanity is as well as the washer and dryer. It is 9 years old now and has survived with only one small round stain where someone (NOT ME..... for once :rolleyes: ) put a cup of bleach on the floor and it left a nice round lighter colored than the rest of the floor, mark.

It is much warmer on the feet in the winter than the regular hardwood flooring we have in the rest of the house. I was VERY skeptical about it but it was highly recommended. I'm also sure it was NOT cheap :doh:

Kitchen or dining room, I don't think I would go there with it, also we don't where shoes in the house here.

Cheers!

It seems like we will give it a try. I talked to the manufacturer, and it seems that it should do what we expect. It should be here in a couple of weeks and then the fun begins. Thanks for the replies. I'll let you know how it holds up.