Lathe Bed Extension --Arrived Today --

Dan Mooney

The bed extension arrived today (a day early from the Amazon estimate) it installed flawlessly, I couldn't have asked for a better fit! :thumb:

I now have aprox. 37 inches between the chuck and tail stock.

Very pleased with it.! Now I just need to get some green paint!

Attachments

• Extension.01.jpg
    Extension.01.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Extension.02.jpg
    Extension.02.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Extension.03.jpg
    Extension.03.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Extension.04.jpg
    Extension.04.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Extension.05.jpg
    Extension.05.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
They sure look similar. What does an extension from HF cost?
To buy the one from Amazon is a gamble. Will the seller accept a return if it doesn't work?
What do you need turned?

HF doesn't have an extension that I've ever been able to find. If anyone knows of one, I'd sure be interested to know the part number!:thumb:

I'm working on a Cane.

Last edited:
Dan, I stray from the subject.
Suggest you save yerself the frustration and do not try to make a cane in one piece on the lathe.
Even with a center steady you will encounter flex that will not permit good turning. Been there, tried that.
I have made canes and walking sticks but with other techniques.
You can use brass couplings and make the cane in two or three pieces. Done right it looks nice and allows for carrying in luggage or whatever.
I have made a couple without the lathe by putting the piece of wood in my large outside post vice and shaping with a draw knife. This requires a lot of sanding when done but does give a sense of satisfaction in having made something with Neanderthal methods.
There are special lathes for making canes and pool cues but I don't think you want to go to that, very big, expense.

Sure looks like it'd fit to me. I'm real certain the bed would line up. If the mounting holes didn't line up, it wouldn't be too difficult to drill and tap new ones anyway.

Frank raises good points about flex problems turning a spindle that long. ;)

Hey Dan,
Here's a link to a coupler that CSUSA sells, allowing you to turn it in sections. They have a bunch of cane stuff.

Well I went ahead and ordered it last night, will see how it goes.

For 42 bucks, hard to see how you can go wrong. I got an extension for my jet mini, and while I don't really ever use the extra length that much, it's nice to have the room...

Dan glad it fit so well.:thumb: hope it workes out as you hope, and lets see that cane when ya get it done.:wave:
Buy the way what do you think of that cheep lathe? been thinking about getting something like it just to throw in the truck. Never know when i might get a chance to use it, at work or when the wife just has to go off some were. Also don't want to spend a lot of bucks as it will just be sitting in the back of the truck, and you never no when someone might want it more than me.:eek:
Steve