Mobil Cutting Board/Garbage Cabinet

Rich Aldrich

One of the guys at work wanted a mobil cutting board with a garbage can storage in side the cabinet. It is all white maple. The tops is strips of maple glued together and sealed with mineral oil/ bee's wax.

I used Top Glide slides on the bottom pullout for the garbage cans. I can add weight under the cabinet at the back if the weight of the garbage tends to tip the cabinet. The cabinet is 26 x 24, the top is 28 x 26.

The casters are fixed in the front and swivel in the back.

Attachments

• P6141458.jpg
    P6141458.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 53
  • P6141459.jpg
    P6141459.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 52
  • P6141460.jpg
    P6141460.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 51
  • P6141461.jpg
    P6141461.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 54
  • P6141462.jpg
    P6141462.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 52
  • P6141463.jpg
    P6141463.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 42
great piece of work. I have a window in my kitchen with a countertop desk under it, and my wife has been asking me to build a rolling cabinet with a butcherblock top to double as a server type table and will fit under the window instead of the useless desk.

Great work, Rich. :thumb: That's gonna get a lot of use. Our kitchen trash can is a pullout built into the lower cabinets, and it's been very handy. We really appreciate the overall cabinet design the previous owners did in our kitchen, and the built-in trash can is one of the best parts.

Thanks, guys.

He really likes it so far. I just need to come up with a way to keep the drawer slide on the garbage can pull out to keep from hitting the door if the door is not all the way open. I am thinking about a block of UHMW polyurethane a little thicker than the slide. I was also thinking about a strip of teflon or plastic to stick to the door.

...I just need to come up with a way to keep the drawer slide on the garbage can pull out to keep from hitting the door if the door is not all the way open...

Woodworkers Hardware (and probably many others) sell rubber/plastic bumpers for that very task. They fit over the raw edge of the drawer slides, so that they bump the door first, and push it out of the way.

Cheap, too - just a couple bucks a pair. I put them on all our kitchen cabinet slide-outs.

Thanks, guys.

He really likes it so far. I just need to come up with a way to keep the drawer slide on the garbage can pull out to keep from hitting the door if the door is not all the way open. I am thinking about a block of UHMW polyurethane a little thicker than the slide. I was also thinking about a strip of teflon or plastic to stick to the door.

Nice piece of work. In our kitchen, the door to the trash bins is attached directly to the slide-out frame (like a drawer front), not hinged to the cabinet. That avoids the issue you're having to address.

Tony

Rich I had another idea thinking about this issue and the door getting in the way.

What about one of these door arrangements. Its my guess this is not the one and only one of these units you will be making.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=55155&cat=3,41305,55408&ap=1

This is a blum pocket door. It would slide completely out of the way. so if one is cutting at the board and wants the bins out slightly to be able to dump waste in, the door would not be open and in the way of moving around the kitchen. This way the bins could be pushed back and forth and the door only closed when needed.

Woodworkers Hardware (and probably many others) sell rubber/plastic bumpers for that very task. They fit over the raw edge of the drawer slides, so that they bump the door first, and push it out of the way.

Cheap, too - just a couple bucks a pair. I put them on all our kitchen cabinet slide-outs.

Good idea, Jim. I'll check them out.

Rich I had another idea thinking about this issue and the door getting in the way.

What about one of these door arrangements. Its my guess this is not the one and only one of these units you will be making.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=55155&cat=3,41305,55408&ap=1

This is a blum pocket door. It would slide completely out of the way. so if one is cutting at the board and wants the bins out slightly to be able to dump waste in, the door would not be open and in the way of moving around the kitchen. This way the bins could be pushed back and forth and the door only closed when needed.

Rob,

If the rubber bumper idea doesnt work that Jim suggested, this is a good option.