Cutting boards

Jim King

This is part of a batch of 100 cutting boards going to the States soon. Each is 1 1/2 inches thick by 17 x 24 and has from 17 to 20 species in each one.

Attachments

• Cutting boards for promotion.JPG
    Cutting boards for promotion.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 91
Wow...very cool, Jim! And a great way to use up those beautiful cut-offs!

Your pictures and stories from the Amazon are always intriguing...thanks for sharing.

What would boards like this run retail in the states? I see inferior face grain boards at rediculously high prices.

Matt

Jim,

Those are certainly gorgeous cutting boards...but...I'd be wondering about food coming into contact with some of the exotic species you've included there...

Just wondering...
- Marty -

Jim,

Those are certainly gorgeous cutting boards...but...I'd be wondering about food coming into contact with some of the exotic species you've included there...

Just wondering...
- Marty -
Out of curiosity, what would be the concern, Marty? Why would the exotics be any worse than walnut, for example?

Out of curiosity, what would be the concern, Marty? Why would the exotics be any worse than walnut, for example?

Vaughn,

I know we "shouldn't" use certain woods for cutting boards because of the toxicity of the wood. There are endless lists of the various toxicity levels of certain woods. Here are a few links:

I wasn't implying Jim was doing anything wrong, or that his unique cutting boards posed any problem, I was just wondering about the wood he used...

- Marty -

Toxic reaction

Marty:

I have been working with these tropical woods for 25 years and just because I walk backwards and drink beer thru my ear I dont think I have been affected at all.

Seriously Marty , with MSG, radioactive powerlines over your house , fish contaminated to the point where you are warned to eat it once a month, peanut allergies , red dye allergies , not to mention the constant attack of ecoligists looking for your money to save them from loosing thier house wood allergies are low on my list of nerve wracking priorities.

Just having fun but I think I made the point.

I just noticed you are from Southern Georgia, now that is grits country and I only had them once but they could cause a reaction.

Jim

Last edited:
Danger to anything is determined by the sensitivity of the individual and amount of exposure. I believe a cutting board after being treated with oil (I use olive oil) would present about zero contact with food or skin.
The amount of (presumed) toxins is another factor. Again, food or skin just touching the wood should be about a zero risk. (IMHO) I remember a friend who once owned a large campground. He had a problem with his commercially made picnic tables rotting very quickly. He wanted to make his own from treated wood but was prohibited by law because of the (presumed) toxic risks from skin or food contact. After a little study, he did find that the chemicals could be a problem for some people. He found that a child, IF HE ATE ABOUT ONE DOZEN PICNIC TABLES might show toxic reactions.
Go for it, Jim.

Marty:

I have been working with these tropical woods for 25 years and just because I walk backwards and drink beer thru my ear I dont think I have been affected at all.

Seriously Marty , with MSG, radioactive powerlines over your house , fish contaminated to the point where you are warned to eat it once a month, peanut allergies , red dye allergies , not to mention the constant attack of ecoligists looking for your money to save them from loosing thier house wood allergies are low on my list of nerve wracking priorities.

Just having fun but I think I made the point.

I just noticed you are from Southern Georgia, now that is grits country and I only had them once but they could cause a reaction.

Jim

Jim,

Point taken!

I still think they're gorgeous boards, and I'd love to have one...toxic or not ;)

And as for grits, I'm a relocated city boy. I don't eat no grits! :bonkers:

- Marty -

Jim those are really nice!! :eek:

Talk about a good "Sample" of you products to show importer, much better than chunks of wood glued to a piece of cardboard!

Do you "Brand" them with something like a hot iron, with the name of your company on them?

VERY nice, and I'd take the risk :D

Cheers!

Names

Stu: Each piece will have the species name laser printed in it after they arrive in the States.