Olive Wood Projects - New Anchor Seal ?

Dan Mosley

I thought I would have had the whole day to myself for turning and finishing up some projects but it didn't turn out that way. I got about half the day for turning before I had to stop but was able to get several things done and learn a couple things.

Picture 1-3.... After a 3 day soak in mix of varnish/blo/ms and now inside to dry.....sanded thru 500grit at this point.

Picture 4-6... are of a earlier vessel turned and sanded thru 320 - very bland piece so I dyed it with analine dye and has many coats of spray Laquer. I was going to buff but I think it looks fine the way it is so ill just leave it like it is I think.

Picture 7 - I had to stop while I was working on this large piece of Olive wood so i sprayed it down with some spray water - waited for it to soak in well and put 2 coats of Anchor Seal on it.

:::::::::::Observations::::::::::::::
#1----Not sure what the New Anchor Seal #2 is all about but it was the same cost and I got free shipping from Woodcraft.......
#2----I noticed the ends on the sealed olive logs I have stacked outside are starting to crack at the pith. A friend told me I should trim them again....seal them again.....and cover them with a tarp so it restricts the air movement and light exposure so I think ill give it a try on my next day off. Either that or im going to have to start cutting them up into blanks (which I did not want to do).

Thoughts ? ..............Thanks Dan

Attachments

• Olive-1.jpg
    Olive-1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Olive-6.jpg
    Olive-6.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Olive-7.jpg
    Olive-7.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Olive-2.jpg
    Olive-2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Olive-3.jpg
    Olive-3.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Olive-4.jpg
    Olive-4.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Olive-5.jpg
    Olive-5.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Anchor Seal.jpg
    Anchor Seal.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 17
I like the wood and the form of the lighter piece. I'll be interested in seeing it after it's done. What kind of wood is it?

Since they're already starting to crack, I'd get the piths cut out of the logs at the minimum. Trimming them again will only cause new cracks to start (at the pith again), and you'll have less wood to work with when you do cut the blanks out. If you cut the pith out, you can still leave the blanks in long half-log shaped pieces and just seal the exposed parts (especially the end grain), but I think you'll greatly improve your chances for protecting the wood from further cracking by cutting the pith out as soon as you can.

All the wood in the photos above is from the olive tree that was cut down a couple weeks back. I just dyed one pc and the other is just natural looking.
I am going to start cutting the pith out as you mentioned on my next day off and seal them up with anchor seal and stack them back up. I have to keep them outside but I keep them under the shade of a tree on the side of the house. I am going to put a tarp over them as a friend suggested to keep the temp from fluctuating, and out of any sunlight to see if it helps.

I have some blanks I keep in the garage under a wood work bench but im limited on the amount of space I have for storage.

I do have enough scrap lumber to make a large wood like box to keep the cut up logs in also but if the tarp works it will be the easier fix I guess.

The only issue with cutting the pith out is I will lose alot of stock for vessels because the size will be greatly diminished down.....ahhh well......