Are Your Palms Sweating?

Vaughn, don't do that again. Sitting here comfortably and I'm stressed.
Wonder what they are paid. Never mind, it is not enough.
Actually, the fall isn't bad. It's the sudden stop at the bottom......:eek:

I am to old and fat to climb silos let alone a tower of that height!! (don't think I would ever want to go that high up unless in an airplane). Dang near mad me sick a couple of times!

Tower Lights

We (the USA ) burn up lotza electrical watts every night, lighting thousands of lights on towers under the ruse of air safety. I say Bull and I am a pilot.

As far as replacing the light..... Why do we have lights on most towers anyways? On a 1700 ft tower a light is fine but on say a tower less than 500 feet. Why is a light needed?

Look around at night there are way to many lights on many small towers. (cell towers quickly come to mind)

In 1929 a light on a 100 foot tower maybe was good for planes to avoid them at night.

Today how many aircraft do you see at less than 500 feet near any populated area? (close to airports excluded)

Must be a strong federal connection from many strobe light manufactures to keep these rules in place.

Lets save some energy and money and drop the requirement for lights on about 90% of the towers out there. Do we really need a light on top of a 100 foot cell tower that is in close to many 75 - 125 foot buildings???

Last edited:
...Wonder what they are paid. Never mind, it is not enough...

Someone mentioned on another forum that they knew someone who did that kind of work in the '80s, and they were paid in the range of six figures. Per job. :eek: I don't know how accurate that is, but if they told me there was a million bucks at the top of the tower waiting for me to go pick up, I still wouldn't make it the first 100 feet.

In my wayward youth, I may or may not have, depending on the statute of limitations climbed a few water towers and other structures in the midwest somewhere. But I can't imagine doing the free climb that guy did to get to the very top.

All that just to change a light bulb? Yikes!

We've got a cell tower on the other side of the valley on top of a mountain. No light on it. I noticed about a week ago someone must have left some sort of light on at the shed at the bottom of it. It really started to bug me, cause I like the dark. I was afraid that they had finally installed the "missing" light. Fortunately it's out now...

HOLY COW, actually the CoC will not let me use the words I really used:eek::eek::eek: Steel nerves, steel legs, steel .............. right:rolleyes::p Those guys are amazing, man their legs must hurt after a days work, but WHAT A VIEW:thumb:

HOLY COW, actually the CoC will not let me use the words I really used:eek::eek::eek: Steel nerves, steel legs, steel .............. right:rolleyes::p Those guys are amazing, man their legs must hurt after a days work, but WHAT A VIEW:thumb:

Not only is he carrying the 30 pound tool bag, there's also that massive sack of brass he's dragging up the tower every step of the way. :p

Just tryed to watch it but says not avable as of copy rights or some such thing. When i was up at fort campbell KY in 77. The first repell we did they called a Australlan repell. You would have to go to the top of a 60 ft tower, stand there looking stright out over it then slowly getting parallel to the groung and take off running face first looking at the ground all the way to the bottom. I really thought that was one of the most exciding things i ever did in the army. Just wish i was young enough to still do it now.:D:thumb:

Seen the el camino del ray and the helicopter one before, but they don't come close to the squidgieness I felt watching the tower climber.... That was just downright scary...