Kitchen Cabinets

Chris Mire

Here are a few pics of a job I finished about 2 months ago. Most are of the Kitchen, there is one of the ent center and mantle. I also did a laundry room and 3 baths. pics were hard to get in those rooms due to size of the room.

Kitchen is Knotty cypress. Tallest cabs are 8'-6" tall. The other uppers are 42" tall. Finish was done by homeowner.

critiques welcome

thanks for looking
chris

Attachments

• PI5Send3.Jpg
    PI5Send3.Jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 22
  • PI5Send5.Jpg
    PI5Send5.Jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 27
  • PI5Send6.Jpg
    PI5Send6.Jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 28
  • PI5Send8.Jpg
    PI5Send8.Jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 36
  • PI5Send10.Jpg
    PI5Send10.Jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 31
Nice job Chris. I like the center island contrast. Good attention to detail. How was the cypress to work.
take care,
John

Chris, nice work! That center island is quite a piece of cabinetry work! Who came up with the design for it, you or your client? I also like the design of the corner cabinet. What did they finish the cabinets with, and what did they use on the island? Inquiring minds need to know....:)

thanks everyone, i appreciate the nice comments

John,

I can't take credit for making the island a different color, although I did encourage it. Cypress has it's ups and downs like most wood. It is easy on the pocket book, easy on tools and cutters, machines nicely. it stains very well. it is very light, though this is one of it's down sides, because it is so soft it dings easily and most finishes can easily be ruined by scratches. However, it is still the hottest wood going right now down here in southern louisiana.

Tom,
The design was collaborative between myself, the client, and his contractor. they gave me a picture of what they wanted basically and let me run with it. it came out much better than i had imagined in my head. The corbels were purchased and were much larger than expected when they arrived, however, i could not imagine the island with anything different now.
To my knowledge they finished with a basic oil stain (minwax probably) and then followed with a Semi gloss poly. That is the accepted norm around here for site finished work. which is the way it is mostly done here. I am not a finisher yet!! hopefully one day i will be able to offer a better alternative to my customers.

one of the many things I learned on this job was when I have an island with a cooktop and the homeowner is using a downdraft blower....I do not have room for pot drawers below the cooktop. (cooktop was not installed in these pics) the customer ended up with one 8" deep drawer and one that was 14" deep(depth as in front to back of drawer). better than nothing i guess, and he was very happy. but now I know. Hopefully that will help someone else as well.

thanks again to everyone who stopped by.

chris

sorry tom, the island was just painted with a latex paint i believe. it was supposed to be distressed and antiqued, but they loved the color so much they changed their mind.

thanks again
chris

Looks good. I like the wider molding on the castle, corner cabinet.

I always did like lots of wide molding.

Looks good. I like the wider molding on the castle, corner cabinet.

I always did like lots of wide molding.

thanks steve

funny you should mention that because that was actually not planned. that was another lesson learned on this job. I thought it was clear that the homeowner was going to use a standard 3-1/4" window casing. well it turns out they decided to use what we call a "bonnet top" which is what you see in the pic of the window over the sink. it was fine over the sink, I had allowed for enough room, but next to the large pantry on the right, there was not enough room for my crown. so me and my friend who was also their contractor came up with this idea because it raised my crown high enough to clear the window trim. in the end they absolutely loved it and couldn't have imagined it any other way. so i guess that was an easy lesson learned. always clarify what type of trim will be used, with homeowner and contractor!!!!

thanks
chris

Chris,

Nice job all the way around.

I can see what you mean about Cypress being susceptible to 'dinging', since it is kinda soft. Denise has asked me to build 'something' if there's any Cypress left from our siding adventure. Not sure I'd build anything other than 'trinkets' with it, since I can't see it standing up to any real abuse.

Thanks for sharing...
- Marty -

thanks alot marty

yes i agree, i don't think i would build my own personal cabinets out of it, but for some reason people here love it.

i can't remember if i saw a nice swing in any of the many pics you've shown of your property, but that would be a great use for some left over cypress. i have made many of them out of it and it weathers quite nice and lasts forever. i'm sure you'll think of something nice for it.

thanks again
chris

Very nice work Chris, thanks for sharing!

I have a question about the island top, it looks like some kind of stone?

How thick is it, and are you at all worried about something or someone heavy setting on it and it breaking?

Just curious.

Again, nice work and thanks for taking the time to show us!

Cheers!

I have a question about the island top, it looks like some kind of stone?

How thick is it, and are you at all worried about something or someone heavy setting on it and it breaking?

Just curious.

Cheers!

stu, not chris here.....but a little experience with granite-n-marble....it looks as though there is no area of the stone greater than 12x32" unsupported, and the slab looks to be 5cm thick? it should be fine with any normal kitchen load placed on it including most cooks:rolleyes: ...tod

stu, not chris here.....but a little experience with granite-n-marble....it looks as though there is no area of the stone greater than 12x32" unsupported, and the slab looks to be 5cm thick? it should be fine with any normal kitchen load placed on it including most cooks:rolleyes: ...tod

stu and tod,

that is granite. it is actually only 2cm. the homeowner opted for the the thinner slab to save about 10 bucks per sqft. I prefer 3cm or thicker myself. but i didn't write the check. the island is 32" wide x 72" long. it has a cooktop that goes in the center of it. (not installed in these pics) and is supported on either side of the cooktop by a partion of plywood.

and tod was really close. the corbels are at most 30" apart and have a projection of about 9".

i don't know enough about the strength of granite to know what or who it could hold....but the granite guys around here are usually pretty good about telling you if your cabs won't support the stone properly.

thanks for the kind words.

chris