Stanley 60-1/2 Block Plane

jim crockett

I've been woodworking for several years but have never had a plane. Well, I'm now the owner of a very nice Stanley Low-Angle Block Plane - 60-1/2.

One question immediately comes to mind - what angle do you hone the blade at?

Any other suggestions/hints that might be useful to a first time plane owner?

Thanks,
Jim

- what angle do you hone the blade at?
Any other suggestions/hints that might be useful to a first time plane owner?

It's probably already sharpened to somewhere around 25°~30°, and that's a good range to kep it in. If you have a honing guide, just adjust is so that the blade's bevel rests flat on your stone/surface, and go from there.

If you're starting fresh, or from a badly chipped blade, try to grind to about 25°, then hone a 2° micro-bevel on it.

The 60½ is a nice little plane. My personal preference for the older Stanleys, though, is the 65, with the lever cap. Thay're getting harder and harder to come by, though.

I've got a 60 1/2, and I really like it - now. I've done 2 things to it that have greatly improved my fondness for it. First - I stopped trying to use that funny swivel lever to lock the level cap and blade. I just snug down the screw that holds both - that is snug, not crank down on the screw. I can still adjust the blade extension and centering.

The second was getting an after market blade. I my case the Lee-Valley replacement blade. It really does improve planning end grain, it even planes the edges of plywood fairly nicely.

Of these 2 things, I think the first is the most important to happiness. The new blade is great, but without the first, I would still be fighting the adjustment.

Of course a sharp blade is mandatory. Have fun with it. Once you get it tuned the way you like it and become use to using it, you'll be surprised how often you reach for it.

Dick