G&G Inspired Bookcase - Assembled Pics

Some stuff at work and life in general have slowed me a bit but, mostly it is just the final shaping and detail work that seems to take so long. There's 40 pegs on this piece in 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8" size. I finished the last dozen or so just now.

ebony-plugs 001.jpg

I just have to set them and it will be time for a final sanding and then off to the finishing steps.

ebony-plugs 006.jpg

One more "almost there" shot.

GnG-BC-B4-finish-009.jpg

Last edited:
Well done Glenn, I'm greene & greene of envy;).

A question if I may. Have you glued those ebanon buttons already? I would have thought that they wold be the last thing to put on the piece after the finish :huh::dunno: or I'm missing something here?

Looking real good Glenn.:thumb: BTW first time i seen dust on your floor and woodshavings. You letting your grip go.:rofl::rofl:

Gee Rob I sure am glad you caught that. I missed it. Glenn and Debbie will be visiting tomorrow (Saturday). I am absolutely positive that Glenn will not say the same about my shop. Glenn does not use four letter words. However, if he did he would use them tomorrow. Let us face it, I fell and hurt my back so he should not expect me to have a nice clean and neat shop like I usually do.

Boy, am I going to hear about this.

Enjoy,

Jim

Well done Glenn, I'm greene & greene of envy;).

A question if I may. Have you glued those ebanon buttons already? I would have thought that they wold be the last thing to put on the piece after the finish :huh::dunno: or I'm missing something here?

I have done it both ways depending on the primary wood type, colorant, etc. With this build I did glue them prior to finishing. usually I leave them for last so I do not have to fuss when finishing around them. There are so many elevations on this piece that my finishing method will be sort of involved. The pegs should be the least of my problems :).

The finish will be a varnish / oil wipe on type that is quite thick. I picked the lesser of two evils between trying to keep the finish out of all those square holes vs. just dealing with the pegs setting proud. Every piece is a learning experience so, we'll see how it goes :rolleyes:.

I'm somewhere around 45 days into this and the part that really tests my patience is here. The first 2 coats are on and I wish I was better with a camera. The piece is finished mostly disassembled, The 1st coat is for evening out the color to my liking and provides a seal to the very porous mahogany. I wipe this on liberally, let soak and then wipe it off as if I've changed my mind.

I let that set about 24hrs and then hit it with another coat. These pics are about 20 minutes after rubbing all the excess off of the second coat. There is really not much of a film built up yet but I can get a good idea of where I'm headed.

I will let this second coat cure 2 days and then re-coat. If it goes anything like the walnut pedestal table I will end up with 5 or 6 coats. This will have it ready for the 'long cure' sometime around the weekend after next. About 10 days after that I can assemble it and wax it up.

Attachments

• GnG-BC-first-coats-top-trim.jpg
    GnG-BC-first-coats-top-trim.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 27
  • GnG-BC-first-coats-top-fram.jpg
    GnG-BC-first-coats-top-fram.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 31
  • GnG-BC-first-coats-bot-fram.jpg
    GnG-BC-first-coats-bot-fram.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 33
:coolphotos:

Sheeesh Glenn i can only hope to one day do something like you have done. Only word coming to my mind is PERFECT and EXCELLENT.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::clap::clap:

Man you set the bar with this. well at least for me:eek:

OK, just checking in because this part is soooo slow. I'm laying on the third coat tonight. Just to give you an idea of how I slather this stuff on:

aaa-GnG-BC-3rd-coat-wet-1.jpg

Leave it for about 30 minutes and then wipe it off:

aac-GnG-BC-3rd-coat-wiped.jpg

From here I just keep setting the timer for 15 minutes, do something till it beeps, go out and wipe it all down, set the timer, do something till it beeps, go out and wipe it all down, etc.

I use a halogen lamp for a super bright light to show up any weep drops or wet stuff creeping along the grain. You have to keep them wiped up because if they cure in a "puddle", I'll end up with an extremely glossy spot in the soft satin finish I'm trying for ;-)

Some stuff at work and life in general have slowed me a bit but, mostly it is just the final shaping and detail work that seems to take so long. There's 40 pegs on this piece in 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8" size. I finished the last dozen or so just now.

View attachment 50280

I just have to set them and it will be time for a final sanding and then off to the finishing steps.

View attachment 50281

One more "almost there" shot.

View attachment 50282

Glenn, that's really beautiful. can I ask a beginner question? Those plugs, those are Ebony? Is it something you buy or you make? Is it strictly decorative? Is there a technical reason for having them? Thanks Glenn,
2lbkos0.gif

Glenn, that's really beautiful. can I ask a beginner question? Those plugs, those are Ebony? Is it something you buy or you make? Is it strictly decorative? Is there a technical reason for having them? Thanks Glenn,
2lbkos0.gif

Thanks for the kind words Cynthia. The plugs are ebony. I make them by cutting square "rods" out of billets of ebony that I get from my local lumber yard.

The ones on the upper and lower corners are functional in that they hide the dowels that pin the fingers. Some of the ones on the flatter portion of the top corners and the front of the shelf trim are decorative.

The only technical reason for having them is their use as a Greene and Greene style element.

Thanks for the kind words Cynthia. The plugs are ebony. I make them by cutting square "rods" out of billets of ebony that I get from my local lumber yard.

The ones on the upper and lower corners are functional in that they hide the dowels that pin the fingers. Some of the ones on the flatter portion of the top corners and the front of the shelf trim are decorative.

The only technical reason for having them is their use as a Greene and Greene style element.

Thanks Glenn, and thanks for the style education. I guess I have some learnin' to do. This woodworking that you do.....how much of it did you learn from your dad? :coolphotos: :score:

...The ones on the upper and lower corners are functional in that they hide the dowels that pin the fingers. Some of the ones on the flatter portion of the top corners and the front of the shelf trim are decorative.

Dang, I was getting ready to tell her they were to hide the 16 penny nails holding the whole thing together. :rofl:

The bookcase is looking very nice, Glenn. :thumb: I need to build a new stand for one of the dog's food bowls, and I'm toying with the idea of trying some type of A&C design. (Of course, LOML says she's not real fond of the style, but then again she has yet to point out a style she actually does like. Personally, I lean toward more modern designs, but that's another style she doesn't like.) :rolleyes: