An interesting shop tour

ken werner

No, not my shop. My wife and I dropped in at a nice old tool company in Athol MA, and asked if we could have a factory tour. Within a few minutes, a fine young toolmaker came down and gave us a personal tour of the whole factory. We got to go among the equipment and workers. I nearly drooled on the floor when I saw all their nice tools boxed up. Should any of you get to Athol, [try saying that name out loud] I'd urge you to allow time for a visit. Our guide told us that it seems a lot of woodworkers come and ask for a tour. And here's a picture of the place - sorry but no photography was allowed inside.

The waterway will supply about 25% of their electricity needs as soon as their hydroelectric unit is back on line.

You'll know the company when you see the picture....

Attachments

• Starrett w-canal small.jpg
    Starrett w-canal small.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 201
+1 one on the tour. I have one of their tools and boy its accurate and has remained so despite my young son working it back and forth. Have it out on loan to a good friend of mine that is doing his crown mouldings.

If you ever need a mitre gauge that works to measure those builders real angles before you cut this is it. Prett foolproof and childproof.:D

I envy you on the tour their Ken. Great looking building too.:thumb:

One thing it goes to show is that if the owners wish they still can make fine tools in the USA with USA labor and material. All a matter of outlook and attitude imho.