Building the urn - Design A - Redux

Thats Better Rennie but I would also like to see it with just the small base also.
Here you go Don - 2 with smaller base only. 2 with smaller base and 'feet'.
less lrg base 1.jpgless lrg base 2.jpgwit feet 1.jpgwith feet 2.jpg

I still think the base needs to be smaller try 3/8 all around :dunno:
But I really do like this urn
Jay - rather than cut up what I had I simply shifted things over for a smaller reveal and only showed one side of the box. Does this give you a better idea?
smaller reveal.jpg

I like the single layer base and smaller reveal.

Not wild about the feet, but other wise I think you are right on target. :thumb:

Going against the rest here... Keep the two pieces on the top, but reverse them - smaller piece on bottom.

Don't use a big round-over - 1/8" or 3/16" ought to be plenty.

Rennie i would also be thinking of the effort you gonna put into it with the detail versus the selling price and return.

My 5 cents is for a double thickness bottom not double layer no feet and single top.

But this goes to show that ask 100 people you gonna get many different answers.:D

I like the single layer base and smaller reveal.

Not wild about the feet, but other wise I think you are right on target. :thumb:

Much better but I'm with Brent, no feet.
Don't like the feet either - thought I'd throw them in for feedback.:thumb:

Going against the rest here... Keep the two pieces on the top, but reverse them - smaller piece on bottom.

Don't use a big round-over - 1/8" or 3/16" ought to be plenty.
Currently using a 1/8" I like the way it just softens the edge rather than give it a 'profile'. I'll try swapping the tops and see what happens.

Rennie i would also be thinking of the effort you gonna put into it with the detail versus the selling price and return.

My 5 cents is for a double thickness bottom not double layer no feet and single top.

But this goes to show that ask 100 people you gonna get many different answers.:D
Rob - how I would accomplish these things in multiples and consistently has been foremost on my mind from the beginning. Plugs will always be labor intensive - no way around it. However, they add so much to the piece that I feel they are justified. The splines, I think, can be done production style. I think a jig for the table saw or router table can cut a slot across the corner. The the ebony piece would be triangle shaped and fit right in. Still some hand work on the rounding over, but if you start with a square and do all 4 sides then cut it corner to corner that should make it a bit easier.

This box is butt jointed - nothing fancy. The other box has the finger joints, but the jig I made makes fast work of them. There is still some hand work, but I'm thinking about how to minimize that as well.

Any chance of using a mortise chisel for the plugs if you keep them square?
Or what about using a lathe to make the bottom of the plug round from a square cut piece. That way you only have to drill a round hole and push them in and you could cut several plugs on one long spindle if you start with a square piece.

See the spinny things have their place in a flat shop.:D:rofl:

Any chance of using a mortise chisel for the plugs if you keep them square?
Or what about using a lathe to make the bottom of the plug round from a square cut piece. That way you only have to drill a round hole and push them in and you could cut several plugs on one long spindle if you start with a square piece.

See the spinny things have their place in a flat shop.:D:rofl:
LATHE?!?

Heresy!

Actually, I have a set of square punches specifically designed for the plugs and using several square 'sticks' you can make them in groups.

Rennie there are going to be some people who dont like G&G so just turn out a bunch of different designs. You ever seen the shoe store. 90% of the shoes i never buy. I often wonder who does. But it helps get people to chose from what is there. You need to have a bunch of different boxes that people can choose from as well as price points.

Then remember the famous words "There comes the time when it is neccessary to shoot the engineer and get on with production.";)

Rennie there are going to be some people who dont like G&G so just turn out a bunch of different designs. You ever seen the shoe store. 90% of the shoes i never buy. I often wonder who does. But it helps get people to chose from what is there. You need to have a bunch of different boxes that people can choose from as well as price points.

Then remember the famous words "There comes the time when it is neccessary to shoot the engineer and get on with production.";)
Actually, I have in mind to do two G&G style in mahogany, one or two more traditional A&C in QSWO, and then three or four more, maybe some in walnut and some in cherry. Not sure on style yet, but something shaker maybe?

Try what Rob said with the 1/8 radius and put the feet on the other box to see what it looks like. I liked the one with 2 bottoms and 1 on top also but this is really looking nice too.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

This is getting fun making you work Rennie :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Thanks Jay, I think.:rofl:

Still playing with the other box. Might try something new with it tomorrow.

Design A - Redux

Several of the comments I received on the proportions for this design referenced an intangible "something is off but I can't put my finger on it" feeling. I let this stew in the subconscious for a few days and this morning it occured to me that it might be the thickness of the wood. So here are three tries - From the bottom - 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4". I think this might be something. I'm leaning toward the 5/8" myself.

As always - any and all comments are welcome.:D
DSC_0007.jpgDSC_0008.jpg

Yeah :thumb::thumb: I am all for the 1/2 inch. I like the G&G when the wood on those joints is thinner.:thumb:

But Rennie i can understand you wanting to get it just right, but if you dont the customer will soon tell you. Just make some and go sell them. You aint in this one to win a design award are you? Churn em out. Cost em and see how you will do.

I was taught by one of my mentors to always leave something for the customer to find that you deliberately have left for them and already have the fix for. Then let them have their say and fix it. They then feel like they had input and you get the go ahead.

Were burning daylight here.:rofl::rofl:

Thanks Glenn. A bit more differentiation in spacing might be in order. They are currently spaced at 1", 1.25", 1.5", 1.25", 1". maybe the next jig will be 1, 1, 2, 1, 1,. Something to think about.