General Elementary Router Table Questions

Ah guess I am jumping in a little late with this post, but I have the PC 895 with the jessum lift and it does everything I could want it to do. I had the PC 690 ( and still do) to start but With years past of having to reach down to adjust the height, the lift is a must. Build your own table is the way to go and you will get something that you want. Wire in a switch to turn the router off and on and get a Dc system hooked up as the dust collecting on your router will burn it out fast if left alone. If you get the full package ( plunge and such) you may not use it now but it is nice to have the options as tool lines change all the time you may find it not availible next year. Jessum lifts are really nice and no you don't need them but they are labor saving. Here are some pics of my set up and one day I will get around to finishing it off ( one of the many projects :doh:) Choices choices choices. I also have the DC laminate trimmer for quick small jobs with 1/4 collets when you want to round over an edge. or trim some plastic laminate. Light and easy to hold. Nothing that you would use to do door panels with but one I couldn't live without.

Attachments

• Router table set up 002.JPG
    Router table set up 002.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Router table set up 005.JPG
    Router table set up 005.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Router table 002.JPG
    Router table 002.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 41TvmXyn2VL.jpg
    41TvmXyn2VL.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 12
That sounds great Eric but the cost of the Blades for the shapers are way too costly ( at least here) and even though Bellingham is close by it is still a 1hr 45 min ( one way) ferry ride on and off the island roughly 120 round trip for car and driver. then add gas and the drive through Vancouver and the 2 hr wait at the border due to the daily migration of shoppers heading south for all the good deals. then duty getting back into the countryIt is no simple feat to just get in the car and drive to the local store.

That sounds great Eric but the cost of the Blades for the shapers are way too costly ( at least here)

Shapers are a great tool. Let me get that out of the way first. It is not a replacement for a router table. Shaper cutters are relatively expensive for doing router work. SHapers also do a poor job of spinning router bits. For what they're made for and in the setting that can take advantage of their strengths; they're great.

even though Bellingham is close by it is still a 1hr 45 min ( one way) ferry ride on and off the island roughly 120 round trip for car and driver. then add gas and the drive through Vancouver and the 2 hr wait at the border due to the daily migration of shoppers heading south for all the good deals.

Drew, you should be going south on 99 not north when you get off the ferry!:D We need to get you one of those GPS units.:)