Sanding problem.

Drew Croy

I have found that I have a problem with my sand paper leaving gray streaks on my light wood pens. The problem doesn't appear until i get into the higher grit paper. Example:

Turn blank with gouge, go over it with skew.
Sand 150
Sand 340
Sand 400
Sand 600
(All of those papers are the J weight paper on the spindle you get from WoodCraft)

Then I get to my high grits that I also got at WoodCraft. They are circular and I have cut them in half to extend their life.

When I use these they tend to leave a gray (the color of the paper) residue on my pens that I have a VERY hard time getting off unless I go back down to 150grit and start again. By that time I'm irritable to say the least.

I know it's operator error, I just need you guys to tell me what that error is.

Thanks in advance.

Drew, I've not used that particular sandpaper, so I'm guessing here, but I've had cases where I saw similar streaks on light wood pens, and it turned out I was hitting the steel bushings with the sandpaper, and getting steel dust in the pores of the wood. I've had pretty good success removing the streaks by wiping the pen with denatured alcohol after each sandpaper grit, but it's best if I just make it a point to stay off the bushings as much as possible.

It would be my opinion - for what it might be worth - also that you're getting into the bushings... I've had problem and as Vaugh said, wipe with DNA or Acetone or Mineral spirits between grits and let it flash off... will add a little time to your sanding, but not too much. Try to avoid the bushing as best you can will eliminate most of it.

You know...now that I think about it, you're probably right (both of you)
I feel like a moron.

No worries, you're in good company. I think we've all done it at one time or another. So who you callin' "moron"? :rofl:

I've found that if I try to sand from the center of the barrel towards the ends, I don't pick up as much bushing dust as I do if I start at one end and move the paper across the barrel.

I have some MM pads from CSUSA that do the same thing :(:(. They too are gray and do the same thing. DNA works, as mentioned. Johnny CNC sells Delrin bushings that can help with the sanding problem :D