wine cabinet mk2

Dan Noren

Staff member
the first design wasn't readily accepted, so, back to the sketchup board. this one is a little leaner than the first one, and a bit less costly.

Attachments

• 2011 fair project.jpg
    2011 fair project.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 2011 fair project color.jpg
    2011 fair project color.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 2011 fair project rendered.jpg
    2011 fair project rendered.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 44
I really like that design! It's elegant in its styling, and quite functional as well.

The proportions seem quite nice. I'm guessing it's to be about 22~24 inches wide, 30" or so tall, and maybe 16" deep?

For the most part I like it, too. I don't care for the curves on that top back rail, though. I think, if there are going to be any curves on that piece, they should be fairly small 90° arcs. Since there aren't any other curves in the piece, I find them unpleasant to look at as they are.

jim - you hit it pretty close to the mark, here's a pic to show you how close.:D

dave - i originally had it with 90 degrees on the corners, and i thought it looked rather clunky, and uninspiring. on a hunch, i went with a 3:5 ratio (that's 3 inches high, and 5 inches wide larry:D), and i thought it looked a lot better.

Attachments

• 2011 fair project dimensions.jpg
    2011 fair project dimensions.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 23
i dont like the curves on this either dano,, if anything go with the cluod shape that the craftsman style uses so much of on the back board..to me that would go much better with your finger joints

I agree with Larry on the back piece, the rounded is out of place. I do really like that design though overall. Is the pull-out at the top a stored tray or is it attached?

darren - it's a stored tray. i'll be using up some walnut veneer that i've had for a while.

here are pics of the original backboard design, and the 2 revisions....

Attachments

• 2011 fair project.jpg
    2011 fair project.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 2011 fair project nbb.jpg
    2011 fair project nbb.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 2011 fair project nbb2.jpg
    2011 fair project nbb2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 24
I can offer an opinion, I wont hurt dans feelings.

I much prefer this design with the bottles on the side.

I dont see much difference in the backs, curved, slightly curved, not really would give that much of a thought, they all look ok to me.

while the wine glass holder looks nice, I dont see why with shelves you need it. The unit is on the floor, the glasses are very low to the reach.
If the stems on the glasses are delicate, people bending down and pulling on the glasses to get them might break a few stems. Im used to my childrens friends grabbing wine glasses. what can I tell you.
and even though Im going to use your wine bottle holding cubes on the side of the unit,(when I build one) I would and will put doors on the center(inset doors, keeping your drawer underneath to hold corkscrew and whatever, I like the drawer idea) to make it look like more like a cabinet, but this is only my opinion. A nice piece of veneer covering door panels would be nice.that is my idea. Your cabinet looks fine, but I go for more of a closed type unit.

oh, I must say also, youre sketchup talent is really tops.

Last edited:
ok, here's a new revision. inspired by allen and dave. the front has a curve that reflects the arc of the back board, and a door, that i think cleans up the front quite a bit, and hides the ugly ends of the glass hanger moldings. now the big question is, open to the right (knob on the left), or open to the left (knob on the right)?

Attachments

• 2011 fair project mk4.jpg
    2011 fair project mk4.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 19
ok, here's a new revision. inspired by allen and dave. the front has a curve that reflects the arc of the back board, and a door, that i think cleans up the front quite a bit, and hides the ugly ends of the glass hanger moldings. now the big question is, open to the right (knob on the left), or open to the left (knob on the right)?

The door is a good addition - helps the glassware stay cleen. the new top and front configuration is the best of the modifications, but I still don't see anything wrong with the first iteration.

As for knob/hinge placement/direction - it'd depend on where in the house the cabinet is located. For convenience's sake, it could go either way, depending...

ok, more views of the current version. i'm definitely leaning toward opening to the left.

Attachments

• 2011 fair project mk4 opening to left.jpg
    2011 fair project mk4 opening to left.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 18
  • 2011 fair project mk4 opening to right.jpg
    2011 fair project mk4 opening to right.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 2011 fair project mk4 shelf out.jpg
    2011 fair project mk4 shelf out.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 2011 fair project mk4 drawer out.jpg
    2011 fair project mk4 drawer out.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 18
I like the curves better on this one and the door is nice. I think I would make the ends of the back rail vertical, though. Also, let's see what the rail and the top look like with the edges rounded with a small radius.

getting there, save the dimensions for me, how bout extending the door down over the drawer,the bottom rail of the door same size as drawer front, and the top rail of the door have the same arch as the back does.
if the unit is for someone, Id use the clear glass, if it was for me Id use frosted or some type of etched glass.

maybe its me, but when you put that glass door on it, it gave it some class. could just be me, I think it adds alot of value to the unit.

only problem with that allen, is that i'd have to back everything up that much more, to allow for the pull on the drawer. rats!:doh: i had gotten one pull for the tray, but forgot one for the drawer:eek:. silly me! i changed the upper door frame a bit, and gave it a bit of an arch.

Attachments

• 2011 fair project mk4 door revision.jpg
    2011 fair project mk4 door revision.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 20
like it...looks good., you can always leave a pull off and just cut a small finger notch in the front of the drawer or use a recessed pull.

and dont forget to get another pull for the door.