Drill bit storage

Ken Schweim

I have a "standard" small metal stand for my regular drill bits and plastic containers of one size or another for brad point, spade bits, and forstner bits. Does anybody have some ideas on a drill bit storage system? I would like to mount it on the wall near the drill press because I would use them more on the drill press than the hand drill. I could just mount a 2 x 4 board shelf and drill partial holes for each standard and brad point bit, and thru holes for the spade and forstner bits. The negative to that would be all those sharp edges (well they were at one time) sticking up in the air next to a work station. Then I thought about building some kind of protective cover over them. Then I thought about making a hinge-mounted plexiglass enclosure that I could lift up. Then I thought....I'm not the first guy on earth with multiple drill bits...wonder how the big guys store them?
So I would like to hear whatever ideas you may have on drill bit storage.

I have some twist bits in a metal indexing box, a large set of brad points in an indexing box. Some in a block of 2x4 sticking up. :eek: Some spade bits in a roll up pouch. Forstners just laying loose in a box. A whole bunch in a drawer which makes digging through a lot of fun. :rolleyes: Another drawer with speciality bits like concrete. More fun digging through that. Another drawer full with hex ends for the cordless screwdriver. You would like my system. It is a lot like an archeology adventure. ;)

My most commonly used bits (1/16" - 3/8") I have in an index mounted to a shelf behind the drill press. The larger ones (5/8" - 1") I used a 2"x3"x5" block of aluminum.

Bits.01.jpg

Bits.02.jpg

Bits.03.jpg

I keep all my bits in their indexed boxes & have a shelf for them on the back side of the drill-press. This way if I need them to go somewhere I can just grab the right drill index.

KISS principle applied.

I plan to some day make a cabinet to go underneath the drill press with drawers.

Mine are mounted on a block of mahogany(what I had laying around at the time). I drilled the hole to fit the bit then marked it with a marker. Then it goes in the drawer next to the drill press. I try to keep all the drill bits in one drawer in my assembly table. Router/shaper cutters are stored the same way.

I keep all my bits in their indexed boxes & have a shelf for them on the back side of the drill-press. This way if I need them to go somewhere I can just grab the right drill index.

KISS principle applied.

I plan to some day make a cabinet to go underneath the drill press with drawers.

ME too on the KISS, I have several Index boxes, HSS box, a box of black wood drills, an old index of numbered drills, and wood box full of large drills and a plastic index of spade bits. all on a shelf in a cabinet behind the drill press. Oh yes, a grab bag box of Old drills. Not to mention the big magnet on the side of the drillpress with super small and most common sizes stuck to it. :wave:

I have the display box left over from one of those inexpensive Ryobi (or whoever it was) drill bit kits that I got long ago for a gift. It takes up nearly an entire low profile drawer in my toolbox but, holds many of the drills I want handy. My "real" drills are in their own index boxes setting on the top shelf of the same rolling toolbox. I stand between this toolbox and the primary DP when using. It would be impossible to keep even the drills that I use frequently on some sort of stand right nearby; there's too many. Holders in drawers work better for me.

I have several sets that I keep in the original indexed container that they came in, but one busted apart. I took a section of 2 X 2 and drilled holes for each bit allowing room to pick up each bit. I screwed this to the wall near my drill press. I find myself going to this set more than the others because it is just so handy.