tv stand/entertainment unit

that is spalted maple, I chose a little less busy for the doors.
For some reason, I felt the heavy spalting on the doors was a bit distracting, so I took the other end of the same piece of wood where it was less pronounced. Im sure it will pop a bit when I apply finish.
I just didnt want the doors too loud.

thanx everyone for the kind words, Im actually going to get going again on this project tomorrow. Ive managed to get the day off.
Amazing. Retire, get so busy I dont have time to have a cup of coffee.
I have plans that are going to keep me running for the next few weeks.

Hey Brent-----finished the final planing and glue up of the 6/4 maple top. Not that bad, just a little heavy to support through the planer(I did it in 2 sections, 12 inches and 11 inches)

Last edited:
built the insides

I finally got a day to spend in the shop.
I made the guts of the unit today, just couldnt put the back on because I dont have any 1/4 inch ply wide enough.
Im going to have a space after the back and another 1/4 inch piece running the unit width in the back, but the second back will only be 6 or so inches high, so I can have some kind of cable management without all the wires hanging onto the floor.
The center shelves are space evenly, glued in, the cabinet shelves are on adjustable pins. I didnt have anymore 3/4 ply, so I made the shelves with 1/2 inch, put a wider edge on it to make it appear thicker, until I decide to buy another piece of maple ply. Not a big deal, the cabinet doors are closed.
I cut the top down to size and just need to do alot of cleanup and sanding.
Few mistakes, like I drilled an extra hole for the pins on one piece.
Unit is overall off around 1/16, but I think thats the sycamore and the movement.
Some pics of where Im at.
My problems begin around 3pm when I work all day.
My arms become heavy, as do my legs, and it becomes impossible for me to lift anything. I nearly dropped the top just now, and thats why I called it a day.
Its so frustrating I cant begin to tell ya. Hands werent working well, tried to hold camera steady.I have to wait for help now if I need to move the unit. Even without the top, its very heavy.

Attachments

• Steven 002 (Medium).jpg
    Steven 002 (Medium).jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Steven 016 (Medium).jpg
    Steven 016 (Medium).jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Steven 015 (Medium).jpg
    Steven 015 (Medium).jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Steven 014 (Medium).jpg
    Steven 014 (Medium).jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Steven 011 (Medium).jpg
    Steven 011 (Medium).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Steven 008 (Medium).jpg
    Steven 008 (Medium).jpg
    27 KB · Views: 33
  • Steven 004 (Medium).jpg
    Steven 004 (Medium).jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Steven 003 (Medium).jpg
    Steven 003 (Medium).jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 32
I havent touched my unit this week.
Besides the oil not drying well, the finish room is filled with merchandise from my old business that Im about to sell off.
Ive been extremely busy cleaning up 98 years worth of accumulated business junk.
I had enough old paperwork to landfill an area the size of Iowa.
I burned out my paper shredder and had to buy a new one.
I will be back showing some pictures of the finished unit when I get some order back in my life. Retirement is fun, but keeping me busy.

just about done.

only sanded the top down to 120, 2 coats blo, just didnt dry for a while. Unit has 2 coats rub on poly, top has 6-7 coats rub on poly.
dont have 3/4 inch maple/birch ply for inside shelves, so the half inch will do for now. I have not cut any holes in the back as IM waiting on my son to tell me exactly where, then I will shoot a picture of back.
the unit is very, very heavy. I had to have my bil come over this morning to help me lift it off the workhorses and put it on the floor.

Attachments

• Steven 053 (Medium).jpg
    Steven 053 (Medium).jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Steven 051 (Medium).jpg
    Steven 051 (Medium).jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Steven 050 (Medium).jpg
    Steven 050 (Medium).jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Steven 049 (Medium).jpg
    Steven 049 (Medium).jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
That came out great Allen. It took me awhile to learn to not ask other opinions in the design stage as well. Do the next piece without your dreams being crushed :thumb:. It'll be fun.

just another shot or two

Attachments

• cabinet 004 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 004 (Medium).jpg
    28 KB · Views: 22
  • cabinet 006 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 006 (Medium).jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 21
  • cabinet 007 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 007 (Medium).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 21
  • cabinet 012 (Medium).jpg