Those Boring Tools

Paul Douglass

I read an article on making boring tools and with some additional answers to questions I asked on Sawmill Creek I decided to give it a try. These tools really work great and hog out the wood. I have less than $20 invested and enough material left over to make a couple more with curved shanks. The shanks are 1/2" steel and the bits are 3/16" HS tool bits. The bits are easily to grind to any profile you like and easy to sharpen. You can see I didn't spend a lot of time on the handles. I find that I also use them in spindle work.

500IMG_2425.jpg

500IMG_2424.jpg

That's sweet Paul...and real good thinking work too :D:thumb:;). When my Monster get's here I'm going to look into making a couple of those.:thumb:

Well done, Paul. Those are typically called Oland tools, named after some guy with that name who first popularized them. Yours look like they'll do well. :thumb:

What a boring post... :D

I have been putting off building such, I have a box full of different HSS machine lathe tool bits that will convert very nicely, Round-to-its are few and far between, of late. Thanks for the post and perhaps inspiration to get off my arse and git-r-done. :thumb:

Yeah those are nice.........I have just bought some steel for a project and got some additional 3/4" and 1" solid round cold rolled to make a few tools myself. Now i just need some time to make them................LOL
If you have a rig (I have the Monster) Randy at Monster tools sells a adapter or may be able to help you if you need one.............Dan

Paul, you have done a great job on making the tools. They will serve you well.

Rob, I just move the tool around until it starts cutting without the tool trying to twist. Then again, I haven't used such tools a lot. I am sure Vaughn will tell you more.