Working From Plans

Still in the learning curve of SU.

Before I knew it was available, 90% of my projects where from pictures, or hand drawn ideas. Then I would wing it from there.

Sometimes the second one was harder to make??
Would try and think back "How in the heck did I do it the first time"?? That is where the pictures started to come into play.

This trick learned in Machine building that tool markers used. Even with Blueprints assembly of over 100 parts tend to get confusion. Pictures of assembly in stages was worth the time.

I would make about 25 pictures of stages till completion. Would put foot notes beside each picture of dimensions, procerdures etc. (use Excel Program, works great)

Also tend to make more and more templates, even if it is one time project.......who knows what..where..when??

Many one time projects, would get a request down the road to make another. Many times wished that had pictures etc.

Now SU?????

This trick learned in Machine building that tool markers used. Even with Blueprints assembly of over 100 parts tend to get confusion. Pictures of assembly in stages was worth the time.
I hear you Bob. I was drawing up a design yesterday and it looked great. I didn't formally draw an in progress picture, but I started thinking about the process and realized it would be next to impossible to assemble due to the use of both dovetails and mortises. A few changes in the joinery made it much more doable. Way better to find your mistakes on paper instead of finding them on hardwood:eek:

Really like that chair. My wife has wanted a new Dinning room set for many years. I have been thinking about building her one. It's just such a big project and making 10 or 12 chairs is no small feat. And yes she wants at least 10 seats at that table! The table doesn't scare me.

Anyway, I like that chair a lot. I think she would too.

Thanks Jeff. I wondered if you might find that one attractive. I could e-mail you the model if you want it (send me your e-mail via PM) or look at Fine WoodWorking March-April 07. I drew it from the drawings in there.

In the article the author writes of using a number of templates to make it easier to build. I was thinking about a jig for doing the angles on the side rails and stretchers. I have an idea for one that would do a matched pair or rails at the same time but I could imagine it being expanded to handle enough rails for a bunch of chairs all at once.

Thanks Jeff. I wondered if you might find that one attractive. I could e-mail you the model if you want it (send me your e-mail via PM) or look at Fine WoodWorking March-April 07. I drew it from the drawings in there.

In the article the author writes of using a number of templates to make it easier to build. I was thinking about a jig for doing the angles on the side rails and stretchers. I have an idea for one that would do a matched pair or rails at the same time but I could imagine it being expanded to handle enough rails for a bunch of chairs all at once.

Well, first let me qualify this by saying I have never built a chair.... well one, but never built a dinning room chair where it was important to make it perfect.

It's hard for me to imagine building a set of chairs without some templates to at least trace the parts from if not use with a router (which I usually avoid) and a pattern bit. And some jigs for various parts.

Jeff

I would love to have a copy of the chair. I may be making a set of 4 if the LOML likes the design (or I will shamelessly modify your design) after I do a proto type.

email is travis dot porter at sprint dot com.

Dave , I just wanted to thank you again . You explained stuff very well .I ended up actually DL the zip file . But there is so much more I want to learn about sketchup!!!!!! So, with your help and a whole bunch of practice , who knows! But again thank you!

Travis, I'll finish up some details--probably today--and then I'll send it.

Jeff and Travis, go to the Fine Woodworking site and take a look at the video clip by the author of the chair article. He shows how he makes the back splat parts.

Donnie, glad to be of service. Keep plugging away at it.

Dave