Empty Well

Bob Gibson

It looks like the lack of rain and the added stress of having my daughter, son in law and 2 granddaughters move in has taken a toll on my shallow well.
After turning on the faucet and getting no water Saturday afternoon I called the well company and they came out Sunday morning. I was hoping that it was only my pump or tank but my normal 15 feet of water was down to 12 inches.
The answer is to have a drilled well installed but thats not financially feasible at this time.
As a quick fix they lowered my foot valve. So at least we get enough water for a real quick shower and the occasional flush but no more clothes or dish washer until something changes. Buying bottled water for cooking and drinking.
Hopefully we will get a lot of rain before the ground freezes or else it will be a tough winter.:(

Sorry to hear of your trouble Bob. Have you made some rain barrels yet? We have a couple, and use them all the time [except when they're frozen solid] to reduce the demand on our well.

Water table dropping is bad news. Sorry to hear it. Temp fixes are OK for short term. But you really need to save up the bucks and get the well drilled deep, really deep, for a sustainable supply. A couple months of wet weather may seem to fix the problem but it will happen again and again.

I feel your pain, Bob. We've been battling our well all summer. We quit watering the lawn to save water (it's all dry and crunchy now, soon to become a labyrinth).

Brent was able to trick out the irrigation tank so we're probably good for a while, but I think we need to start saving the big bucks for a new one some year. Will be praying for rain for you.

Thanks for all the "well wishes" :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I've got a well driller giving me a call today. I'm sure that he knows if there are any funds available anywhere. I'll "dig" into that site Darren :thumb:

Ken, I do have several rain barrels. Problem is there isn't much rain. What little I do collect goes to the wife's blueberry and flower garden.

Rob, I'm about 4 miles l to the nearest water main. This is the first issue we have had in about 13 or 14 years.
Hopefully the rains will come soon or a lottery win so I can get a deep well drilled.

Can you smell us all the way over there :rofl::rofl::rofl:

We have had 5-8 inches of rain in hte past few weeks so that has helped to ease the situation. We need more rain before the ground freezes or it will be a real problem this winter.
Short showers, no dishwasher and only 1 load of wash per day is helping.
The well driller is working on grant and low interest loans for and with us. We will hopefully have a drilled well before Christmas.