My First Demo!

Jeff Bower

This past friday night and saturday I participated in ArtStop. My dad was kind enough to help me load and set up his tent, my lathe and tools in front of my BIL's store, (The Mansion) Friday night was great with wonderful weather and lots of people stopping by to watch me send curlies all over the sidewalk. Saturday started with rain and ended with more rain and cold weather. I packed it in about 2 hrs early. Of course the sun came out just about the time I got home, but oh well. :doh:

Lots of compliments and "so that's how that's done". I know of a few sales that were made friday night and I find out later today what the totals are...Had a great time and will do it again for sure if I can.

Below are some pics of my setup on Saturday, all the rain, one of the bowls I turned Saturday as well as one of the display that is set up inside the store. It wil be set up all week so hopefully some more sales will come from that as well.

Attachments

• p_00035.jpg
    p_00035.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 75
  • p_00036.jpg
    p_00036.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 73
  • p_00037.jpg
    p_00037.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 76
  • p_00034.jpg
    p_00034.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 71
  • p_00033-739318.jpg
    p_00033-739318.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 87
Sounds like it was a good showing Jeff! :thumb:

Thanks Darren!

Very nice. Makes me want to go grab a piece of wood from the 4 cords that just got delivered and give it a try. I certainly would have plenty to work with ;);)

Once you try it you'll love Sharon!

good fer yu jeff now set down and relax and have a cold one or maybe a hot toddy:) after the rain and cold snap:D:thumb::thumb:

Thanks Larry....I dabbled in a few of each Saturday night and it did warm me up! :thumb:

Now that is salemanship at its best. The customer knows first hand that their bowl wasn't imported from China!! Man that is a lot of work just getting set up, but that is something that days later it will come up in a conversation or a wedding or birthday will come up and they will say something like, "remember that guy turning bowls on the sidewalk, let's go to that store and get a wooden bowl for them!" Might advertise you can get it laser engraved (our own Pete Simmons) with dates and names even photos! That is a lot of beautiful bowls on display/for sale. Great job! :thumb::thumb:

Congrats Jeff, and here's hoping it generates lots of sales. :thumb:

Thanks Vaughn. A few more pieces have sold...plus I have 2 people that want me to get some wood from trees that are coming down this week. :D

Good job there jeff.:thumb: Hows that lathe doing for ya? I tryed to give Larry mine (same lathe) but he didn't even want to look at it.;)
Hope ya get lots more sales and a bunch more pics for us to look at.:D
Steve

Stephen, the lathe is working great...I need another belt for it again, but other than that it, I love it. The bed is looking new now too...lots of 220 and 320grit and then paste wax later anyway...had a bit of rust on it after all the rain on Saturday. :( Maybe you should just show up at Larry's with the lathe sometime and trade it for some of his wood stash. :p

Now that is salemanship at its best. The customer knows first hand that their bowl wasn't imported from China!! Man that is a lot of work just getting set up, but that is something that days later it will come up in a conversation or a wedding or birthday will come up and they will say something like, "remember that guy turning bowls on the sidewalk, let's go to that store and get a wooden bowl for them!" Might advertise you can get it laser engraved (our own Pete Simmons) with dates and names even photos! That is a lot of beautiful bowls on display/for sale. Great job! :thumb::thumb:

Thanks Jonathan, I did have lots of people say they enjoyed seeing the process of how the bowls are made. My daughter's pediatrician, who stopped by and stayed for over an hour, even wants to stop by sometime and give it a go. He says he needs a hobby to relax with since his golf game only makes him angry! :rofl:

Thanks Mohammad!

A lady that stopped by my demo had told me they were having a 300yr old oak tree taken down this week and they would call when they had some wood ready for me. Well my dad and I went over Wed night and filled the bed of his truck with logs. I had told the tree's owner at the demo I would give her a bowl for the wood. While there she asked for a quote for 5 small bowls for her kids as xmas gifts!! :D